1150ps Controller (4 probes) on a 850ps?

Csmack08

Reaction score
So...the controller that came with my 850 was defective (couldn’t connect to Bluetooth or WiFi) so pit boss sent me a new one. Now, through some fluke they also sent me a 4 probe controller (the same one that comes in the 1150). I didn’t pay for it, and they have not contacted me to send it back.

I understand that the 1150 controller has better temp control than the 850. Also it has 4 meat probes instead of 2. My question is, are there any issues with installing the 1150 controller on my 850? I don’t want to mess anything up. Please let me know your thoughts!

So...the controller that came with my 850 was defective (couldn’t connect to Bluetooth or WiFi) so pit boss sent me a new one. Now, through some fluke they also sent me a 4 probe controller (the same one that comes in the 1150). I didn’t pay for it, and they have not contacted me to send it back.

I understand that the 1150 controller has better temp control than the 850. Also it has 4 meat probes instead of 2. My question is, are there any issues with installing the 1150 controller on my 850? I don’t want to mess anything up. Please let me know your thoughts!
I was thinking about buying one to try out on my 850,
let me know what happens, I don't see any reason it would not work.
good luck
if you decide not to try it, I would gladly buy it from you, for a reasonable price.

good luck
if you decide not to try it, I would gladly buy it from you, for a reasonable price.
Let me know if you have any luck on buying the new PID controller as I called Pit Boss and they said the new PID 1150 controllers are not listed as a service part so they are not for sale they are listed as a warranty part.

Logan a member of this forum said he purchased one so that is why I called them as I was hoping he would respond my message and see what magic he did to get one.

Pit Boss reached to me and said that they are now selling the PID 1150 controllers so I am not sure what the price is, but I will let you know when I call them today.

I think pit boss should recall all of the frustratingly inferior 850 controllers and replace them with the 1150 controllers. It would go a long way in helping to boost their competitive standing and reputation in the world of smoker manufacturers.

I think pit boss should recall all of the frustratingly inferior 850 controllers and replace them with the 1150 controllers. It would go a long way in helping to boost their competitive standing and reputation in the world of smoker manufacturers.
Yes it would. It would also be cheaper than sending out a whole new smoker. As they did for me. One thing I can say about pit boss is that they will definitely stand behind their product.

Yes it would. It would also be cheaper than sending out a whole new smoker. As they did for me. One thing I can say about pit boss is that they will definitely stand behind their product.
Agreed. They do have excellent customer support. After I discussed the wiFi/ Bluetooth issues with the rep for about 5 minutes he said we’ll send you a new one. And this was the rep for the smoke it app, I forget the company. I would suggest they take a closer look at their shipping logistics so they don’t send multiple controllers to everyone, but hey, I’m not complaining!

good luck
The only issue I can see is if the wiring is any different. I was hoping someone here could let me know if there was a difference before I take it apart, but no luck. So, I guess I’ll try it myself... I’ll let you know the results!

The only issue I can see is if the wiring is any different. I was hoping someone here could let me know if there was a difference before I take it apart, but no luck. So, I guess I’ll try it myself... I’ll let you know the results!
The Pit Boss rep told me that the wiring will be same for me on my Pro Series 1100. I am ordering the PID controller tomorrow so I will let you know the price.

Just installed a new one in my 1600 pro , take a fine line marker and mark each end of each wire connector take photos also, take the bottom screen off of pellet box under controller

Any updates??

Would any pellet controller work?
Or does it specifically need to be one?
I only ask because my old traeger had a upgraded one I bought that I replaced. It worked great. Wasn’t wifi or Bluetooth but it always held temp well and had a p setting button.

would that in theory work?

Latest Discussions

Back