1st cook problem

cfolker

Reaction score
Hey all, hope you had a great Thanksgiving. So on my first cook yesterday with my brand new Competition 850 I noticed that the display showed 225 and my other two thermometers, one on the grill and the other a Thermopro, showed 255. Both of the thermometers were within 3 to 4 degrees apart but the temp on the control board was 20 to 25 degrees lower the the thermometers. These were the grill temps and not the meat. Is there a calibration for the temp anywhere that I have missed?

Hey all, hope you had a great Thanksgiving. So on my first cook yesterday with my brand new Competition 850 I noticed that the display showed 225 and my other two thermometers, one on the grill and the other a Thermopro, showed 255. Both of the thermometers were within 3 to 4 degrees apart but the temp on the control board was 20 to 25 degrees lower the the thermometers. These were the grill temps and not the meat. Is there a calibration for the temp anywhere that I have missed?
I own the INKBIRD and I don’t worry about the temperature on the controller
You’ll be fine
Hopefully this helps you 🇺🇸🇺🇸

Thanks Cowboy. I just hate to spend that much on a good grill and not be able to depend on it. Fortunately I have the four probe Thermopro that is rechargeable so I wont go broke buying batteries. Do you think it worthwhile to contact customer support?

Thanks Cowboy. I just hate to spend that much on a good grill and not be able to depend on it. Fortunately I have the four probe Thermopro that is rechargeable so I wont go broke buying batteries. Do you think it worthwhile to contact customer support?
Just for piece of mind for ya I’d give em a call
It’s just like thermometer gauge on a lid. That’s just decoration to me.
Let me know what you find out

no worrys my PB 4 has trouble with internal temp from controller temp that why its always best to go off meat temp and verify it with a secondary hand held thermometer and as you learn your machine it get easy to know when to pull your meat

Absolutely normal for all pellet smokers … Unless your oven thermometers or meat probes, the latter specifically not meant for measuring air temperatures, were positioned EXACTLY like this (see photo) touching the digital temperature probe, your personal temperature reading comparisons are totally invalid for comparison to the “Actual” temperature shown on the controller. Your grate temperatures are never going to match the actual temperature shown on the controller.

The PitBoss controllers algorithms are set to create a temperature environment throughout the barrel ... not that exact temperature readings at every point across the grates.

If you’re interested in the grate temperatures, you’ll have to get a secondary probe specifically designed to measure that. Usually they have squared off or blunted tips and always come with grate clips.

The digital temperature showing on the controller is the temperature probe mounted on the left side of the barrel at that specific position ... it’s not “the grill” or “grate” temperatures. Your grate and lid probes are going to be different and probably higher or lower due to their placement in the barrel.

Watch your digital, as it controls the controller, and keep an eye on your grate temperature but the IT on your meat probe is the one that’s the most important.

The “probe problem” is that folks don’t know enough about their PitBoss smokers design to know that the digital temperature shown on the controller and the grate temperatures are almost never going to match.

Remember, your PitBoss has a controller with an awesome algorithm that runs the smoker. After you’ve used it a few times you’ll realize that it works and works well. Relax... put your temperature probes in the food where they belong and let that awesome smoker you bought do the work for you. Smoke On!

Attachments

• IMG_2645.jpeg
    IMG_2645.jpeg
    133.3 KB · Views: 21
The "first cook problem" pertains to the difficulties and errors that one may encounter when preparing a meal for the very first time. These challenges may involve unfamiliarity with the ingredients, unclear instructions, or difficulties in coordinating the cooking steps. However, overcoming these hurdles can help improve one's cooking skills and enhance the overall experience of preparing and enjoying a meal.

smoking meat some time can be a guessing game I had a brisket take 24hr to cook one time .that is the only meat that you cant really say when its going to be done
My last low and slow brisket took almost 27 hours. Causing less than a 4 hour houl. Hate those stubborn ones.
My next one will be hot and hopefully fast. LoL

My last low and slow brisket took almost 27 hours. Causing less than a 4 hour houl. Hate those stubborn ones.
My next one will be hot and hopefully fast. LoL
I hope I don’t run into this I’m already starting the cook on Xmas eve…I want to eat before the 49er game comes on Xmas night lol

Back