3-2-1 ribs

Solly

Media
Reaction score
Well I have had the Pit Boss 1600 for several months now and it has been pretty much flawless , what I have learned is not to trust the ambient temp sensor but I'm ok with that its part of the learning curve. Every cook has been successful and I have had several really good baby back rib cooks each time using the 3-2-1 method for fall off the bone ribs, however I'm wondering if anybody out there in smoker land uses a different method to produce great ribs ? I do like my ribs fall of the bone style . If some one out there has a different method that produces fall off the bone results LET ME KNOW
other wise I'll continue to use 3-2-1 as it produces good results . I'm always up for something new !!!

3 2 1 works very well I have had good and bad results .I have had my PBV4 for 4 years and like you say have learned your unit .
I have learned to cook by temp on my unit and not wrap most of my smokes and I use the Bump test on ribs grab the ribs in the middle give it a shake if it cracks at the bone they are done

Well I have had the Pit Boss 1600 for several months now and it has been pretty much flawless , what I have learned is not to trust the ambient temp sensor but I'm ok with that its part of the learning curve. Every cook has been successful and I have had several really good baby back rib cooks each time using the 3-2-1 method for fall off the bone ribs, however I'm wondering if anybody out there in smoker land uses a different method to produce great ribs ? I do like my ribs fall of the bone style . If some one out there has a different method that produces fall off the bone results LET ME KNOW
other wise I'll continue to use 3-2-1 as it produces good results . I'm always up for something new !!!
YouTube has MANY smoker videos showing rib cooks, several of which are alternatives to the 3-2-1 method. It's good rainy day viewing but be warned there are many that really don't like 3-2-1. Personally I prefer something closer to 2-2-0.5 although I go by texture more than timing. It also makes a big difference what temp you choose for your cook. I've done ribs at 225, 275, and about anything in between. They always turn out if you're checking for texture/bend rather than watching the clock. Enjoy!

Pretty much same theory, but I’m more of a 2-2-1 person. Give or take a little. Fall off the bone isn’t my thing though. I prefer clean bite through.

If this method works for you and gives you results you like, stick with it and refine it from there as opposed o finding new methods.

My go to for ribs is that simpler is better. The ribs I get the most praise for are never wrapped. 250 degrees. State checking for doneness at 3 1/2 hours. Bones should be start to poke out. When you pick up the rack by one end the meat should spilt a bit it in the middle but not fall apart. When you bite in the meat should pull off but not “fall off” the bone. Tender, moist, and yummy.

My go to for ribs is that simpler is better. The ribs I get the most praise for are never wrapped. 250 degrees. State checking for doneness at 3 1/2 hours. Bones should be start to poke out. When you pick up the rack by one end the meat should spilt a bit it in the middle but not fall apart. When you bite in the meat should pull off but not “fall off” the bone. Tender, moist, and yummy.
I tried your method and exactly as you described...thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1057[1].JPG
    IMG_1057[1].JPG
    188.8 KB · Views: 16

Latest Discussions

Back