3rd time losing a brisket

carlosv

Reaction score
I have had a couple of prior smokers from different brands. I finally spend the money on a nice Pro-Series PitBoss smoker and have to say that it has been frustrating. I have made ribs on a 3-2-1 and they came out great. I also did partially a tri-tip and finished it off in a charcoal grill to get a good sear cause I have not learn this from the smoker. The smoke ring was excellent and the taste was also very good. But when it came to the brisket I have not had any luck.

Brisket 1 I had a 10 pound after trim brisket and it was an extremely cold night to I setup the temp to 230 not realizing how fast this unit was going to cook the brisket. By the time I realized what had happened the brisket was too gone even after wrapping it and it was ruined. I claimed that failure.

Brisket 2 again a 10 pound after trim. set it up in the center rack salt and pepper only. Waited for the brisket to hit 155 before wrapping in paper. Try to get it to 195/200 but at the end it was again very dry once it got there and had it resting for 2 hours in a towel.

Brisket 3 yesterday. 8 pound salt/pepper/garlic rub for 6 hours. Cooked until 160 on flat and 150 on point. 220 temperature instead of 230. After that I put it this time on a tray with hot beef broth to not reset the cooking too much and again waited to 195 which is supposed to be the appropriate temperature. I was stall at 170 for about 2 hours and then I got to the mid-190's relatively fast. Having said that it did not help the brisket at all. It was still tough and although the flavor again was on point the cut was lost.

I am trying to understand what am I doing wrong. I have tried wrapping in paper and using the tray method. I have both let the brisket sit without being bother and also spraying every 30 min. I have no problems with the flavor but I just can't get the brisket to loosen up enough. I have not have these kinds of issues with other smokers but it seems that this pitboss just does not want to get it done correctly.

By the way I also did a pork shoulder and that was close enough although I could have done better I know where I made my mistake from making it just right.

I am not sure what to try next cause so far I have spend a big amount of money on meat that just gets ruined over and over.

Welcome from Texas to the group. !!
I always go at 225 degrees. Low and slow
When the internal temperature is around 160 degrees pull it and wrap in peach butcher paper. When the internal temperature gets around 206 degrees pull it and place in a ice chest for an hour before serving
If your flat is thinner I always cut it off and smoke separately
Hopefully this helps you 🇺🇸🇺🇸

I am no way an expert at this but I have cooked 2 briskets so far and both have been amazing. I marinate my brisket in Allegro meat tenderizer overnight. In the morning, I take it out and apply the rub and let it sit for an hour or so. Next I put it on the top rack in my grill and water and leftover marinade in a pan on the cooking/lower rack. 225 until I get to 150 internal temp. Then take it off, wrap in heavy foil and remove the water pan and put it on the bottom rack still at 225 until it reaches 200 internal temp. Take it off and let it sit for about an hour in a pan still in the foil. Each time it has been incredibly moist and tender. It was tender enough to cut with a fork.

I think your cooks are good. You never mentioned anything about probe tenderness?
My final done temp is probe tender wherever I poke it. I've had that happen at 195 but have had to go to 210. My last brisket (12# trimmed)took just shy of 26 hours at 230. Temp 203-205 but probed like I was temping room temperature butter.
I've just picked up a MES 30 that I plan on changing to PID control for low temps. So I can try a long hold (10+) on a brisket pulled around 190 and held at 150. Plus I want to play with sausage making.

Seems like you are all over the place with inconsistent temps,,,,,smoke at 225 til 165, not 155. Then wrap in butcher paper til 203/205 and then let it rest for at least an hour in a cooler. These are just the basic guidelines. Do not rely on any one thermometer. Use an oven thermometer to ensure cooking temp. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GS7S4JV?ots=1&tag=rvwtbrn-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&language=en_US&asc_source=direct&asc_campaign=20039&asc_refurl=https://reviewed.usatoday.com/ovens/best-right-now/the-best-oven-thermometers

Seeing you have only posted one time and have yet to respond, will we ever hear from you again?

Latest Discussions

Back