Anyone have any tips for getting a low temp on vertical smoker

jaykav

Media
Reaction score
Was running some tests today preparing for trying a brisket and I was planning on trying to start with 225 but no matter what I do about 240 is as low as i can get it.

Had two probs in it both were in about 3 or 4 degrees of each other...on the very very bottom rack, smoker is propane so I had the dial all the way down and if i go any further the flame just goes out. added cold water to my pan...played with the air flow...nothing would bring it down any lower.

Anyone have any ideas or could it be a case of you get what you pay for?

Was running some tests today preparing for trying a brisket and I was planning on trying to start with 225 but no matter what I do about 240 is as low as i can get it.

Had two probs in it both were in about 3 or 4 degrees of each other...on the very very bottom rack, smoker is propane so I had the dial all the way down and if i go any further the flame just goes out. added cold water to my pan...played with the air flow...nothing would bring it down any lower.

Anyone have any ideas or could it be a case of you get what you pay for?
Are there fresh air intakes down low that are adjustable? If so run them wide open, same with chimney cap.
Get an adjustable regulator. Then shorten or remove a gas tube. You could experiment using aluminum duct tape.

No intakes that are adjustable. I will try a foil heat shield to start with if that doesn't work maybe I go macgyver on it like redoctapus suggested.

thanks everyone.

If it's new bring it back. Go to Lowe's for the PBV4PS2 like I have, 130 degrees is the smoke starting temperature.
X2. The vertical pellet smokers are the way to go. I have the older version of the Pro Series 4 (V1) and the smoke setting is consistent 130-135. Temp settings start at 150 and max out around 430. Using a combination of the smoke setting for the first hour or so, then a temperature setting to cook the beef, pork, chicken.... the flavor of the meat is extraordinary. With the lower temps, you can also do other things like make your own smoked salmon, which I haven't tried yet.

Well here's some funny crap. Decided to chat with Pitt Boss support on this "issue" and my smoker is a dual burner system which i did know...but turning the flame down low and having it go out on me I assumed I could be just leaking gas. What I missed originally was the wood chip burner was staying on. I didn't notice until I had my chip holder pulled out one time while i was messing with the flames...I'm over here thinking I might blow up soon and it turns out that's 100% normal also explains why I couldnt get the low temps I wanted.

I think i found my sweet spot...added a foil barrier...messed with the damper vents a bit more, happy with my flame size and got it pretty stable between 226 and 230.
I had a gas burner a while back. Here in SC the sun alone would heat it up to 150-170 degrees. Summer time I always smoke in the shade around here though.
One time I did a cooking for the Little River American Legion. They want 10 prime ribs cooked. I started late at night using a gas oval 250 gallon pig cooker. All was fine until the sun came up. I didn't have any shade tree near by.. I finished the cook with the sun only. lol it worked out mighty fine?

Back