Are controllers upgradeable?

SF Grill Newbie

Reaction score
I have a PB1000D3 and was wondering if the controllers are upgradeable?

I do NOT know whether a standard controller can be upgraded to a PID (Proportional, Integral, and Derivative) which is basically, as I understand it, an algorithm which adjusts the auger to feed pellets to control temperature. Therefore, giving less temperature variance. So, I believe, I have a standard controller on my model.

Is there or are there upgradeable PID controllers that will work with my model? Probably not ready to upgrade, but I think this might be the only weakness to this beginner model.

The other feature I like in some of the other controllers is the automatic Prime button where pressing it once will give you 15 seconds or so of auger movement, alleviating holding the button continuously for 3 minutes.

Like it says, I'm a "Newbie".

I have a PB1000D3 and was wondering if the controllers are upgradeable?

I do NOT know whether a standard controller can be upgraded to a PID (Proportional, Integral, and Derivative) which is basically, as I understand it, an algorithm which adjusts the auger to feed pellets to control temperature. Therefore, giving less temperature variance. So, I believe, I have a standard controller on my model.

Is there or are there upgradeable PID controllers that will work with my model? Probably not ready to upgrade, but I think this might be the only weakness to this beginner model.

The other feature I like in some of the other controllers is the automatic Prime button where pressing it once will give you 15 seconds or so of auger movement, alleviating holding the button continuously for 3 minutes.

Like it says, I'm a "Newbie".
Check here first - PB upgrade page for what looks to support yours. Says for legacy 400 to 1000 series.

The PB1000D3 is listed.

• Works with:
  • Navigator Series - PB850G, PB1150G
  • Sportsman Series - PB0820SP, PB1100SP
  • Pro Series - PB820PS1, PB1100PS1
  • NASCAR® Series - PB700NC1, PB1000NC1
  • Mahogany 440 Deluxe - PB440D2
  • PB440D3/PB456D
  • PB440TGN1
  • 700FB1 Wood Pellet Grill - PB700FB1
  • PB820D2/PB820D3/PB1000D3
  • PB820XL/PB820ME