Auger getting stuck after full disassembly, unclogging, and cleaning.

Pit_Howse12

Reaction score
I have a pit boss 700t1 (small stock green smoker thar doesn't have a primer button). Never head a problem with it until I left Pellets in it during a week long rain. I am new to the pellet grill game and didn't realize the Pellets would take in ALL the moisture and become a concrete block in my auger tube.

I have completely disassembled the auger and cleaned out the clog. I had to use a pipe-wrench to unscrew the auger due to how badly it was jammed. I was able to clear everything. Basically cleaned it the same way I would a gun with a tube snake and a soft metal bristle brush. The auger slid in very nicely and seemed to turn very freely when I was manually testing it.

Now that I have reassembled the smoker, everything appears to be working fine EXCEPT the auger will turn a full circle and then get stuck right at about the 7 or 8 o clock mark if you think of the circle of the tube as a clock. It makes a knocking noise about 2-3 times and I can see it appearing to get hung up. It gets past the knocking noise and then turns about 2-3 centimeters more and then just stops. I can hear the auger motor running trying to turn it but it just won't move. No knocking noise when this is happening. If I pull at it, it will dislodge and continue turning until getting stuck in that exact same position again. It's great that I can get it to move but obviously not at all feasible with all the equipment put back in the rig and while having food on the smoker.

Do I need to take the whole thing apart again and sandpaper the auger? It has rusted in a few spots because of the clog but seemed smoothe, and like I said turned freely and easily when I was manually doing it. Or do I need to just buy another auger coil? I was really hoping to use the smoker tonight but I'll wait if I need to order another coil.

Thanks in advance.

Back