Auger not pausing

EdGs

Media
Reaction score
Hello all,

I was given a PBV3PW1 vertical pellet smoker that, as soon as power is switched on, the auger runs constantly.

The smoker is 3 to 4 years old, and is well used, but well taken care of, so I figured I would see if I could fix it.

I am going to troubleshoot the board tomorrow, as I am hopeful that I can verify if its a component thats easily replaceable. If I cannot easily fix it, I will replace the controller board.

Anybody here have similar issues? I am stoked to have the smoker and looking forward to fixing and using it.

Thanks in advance.

AFAIK, not an issue with this unit, as the person that gave it to me used it quite often, and never opened it up.

There are only 3 plugs on the controller board, 2 for the probes, and 1 for the AC power. The wiring for the auger, fan, igniter, etc. are all hardwired on the pcb (there may be plugs closer to the fan and auger, I haven't opened it up that far yet).

I will get a closer look at the wiring tomorrow. Best case will be shorted triac on the controller ($2 and a little time to fix). Fingers crossed.

Welcome from Rhode Island. Customer service will have a controller and help you trouble shoot. 877 303 3134
Thank you very much. Looks like I will have to give them a buzz. Triac and associated components check good, so most likely something with the main control chip.

I don't think this unit is even 5 years old. The person that gave it to me got this one as a replacement when their original caught fire shortly after purchase.

It's giving me mixed feelings, but I will give them a call monday.

Update: after completely removing the controller and using a q-tip and some alcohol around the main chip and other areas where there were specks of grease?, it looks like the auger might be working ok.

I emptied the pellets, so I only had a small amount in the auger tube, but it seems like it stopped when it should.

I'm gonna read through the manual to make sure I do the checking right, and then I think this unit could benefit from a thorough cleaning, the glass on the door is solid black with buildup.
20240803_200230.jpg

Fingers crossed, I'm not giving up just yet.

AFAIK, not an issue with this unit, as the person that gave it to me used it quite often, and never opened it up.

There are only 3 plugs on the controller board, 2 for the probes, and 1 for the AC power. The wiring for the auger, fan, igniter, etc. are all hardwired on the pcb (there may be plugs closer to the fan and auger, I haven't opened it up that far yet).

I will get a closer look at the wiring tomorrow. Best case will be shorted triac on the controller ($2 and a little time to fix). Fingers crossed.
Definitely some crossed wire…
The wiring diagram is on the silver label under the hopper lid. And on the PITBOSS website.

Update:

Got the new controller installed. Mixed Traeger Hickory pellets with Pit Boss Fruitwood pellets 1:1.

Fired up the smoker, and she worked just fine. There is a little condensation on the inside of the controller asssembly, hopefully it clears up after use.

I did find out that the built in probe of the Pit Boss is reading ~ 25° low. I have a ThermPro 2 probe that I placed on the 2 shelves in the cooking zone.
20240817_082531.jpg

20240817_094818.jpg

20240817_082724.jpg

Not a problem, I will set the temp according to the cooking zone anyways.

Baby back ribs tomorrow!

Last edited:
Back