Best WiFi (not wired) meat probes like Meater, ThermoPro, Tappecue Airprobe, Thermoworks RFX, etc.

MrJRoz

Media
Reaction score
This is a separate thread for opinions on the best non wired, WiFi connected meat probes like Meater, ThermoPro, Tappecue Airprobe, Thermoworks RFX, etc.
What are everyone's thoughts as reviews are all over the place and it is difficult to discern user error.
Looking for discussion on user experience, performance, mobile ap, connectivity, battery life, accuracy... all the things to help one make an informed decision among our brethren.

I've got a Meater+ single probe that I like the more I use it. It was temperamental at first, but I got a replacement. Mine doesn't stay connected unless I set up a cook. Sometimes I just want to monitor temps, but that doesn't seem to work. But now that I use it as intended (set up cooks), I like it for longer cooks like roasts, meat loafs, pork butt, and obviously rotisserie cooks. It does a nice job estimating cook times, except for items that hit a stall. I don't think it has very good bluetooth range, but it almost always reconnects once I get back in range.

I use my Wi-Fi 4-probe Inkbird a lot and it is my favorite, although after two years, I'm having trouble with a connection to my network. I'm going to reset it and reconnect before my next cook, and I'm sure it will be fine. I did have to get a new set of probes after 1.5 years since two of them stopped working properly. I like the Wi-Fi connectivity so I don't need to stay close to monitor my cook.

I will only buy something with a Wi-Fi connection from now on (and not the Meater version where I need to set up another device). I've heard mostly good things about the Chef IQ, but don't have personal experience. I'll be keeping my eye on the Thermoworks RFX reviews to see if that should be on my radar.

I got Meat sticks and have been very happy. The set came with a charger/repeater that gives a 600ft range.

The biggest reason I went that way was I try to avoid giving money to the chicoms when ever I can.

US company and the hardware is built in Taiwan.

I've got a Meater+ single probe that I like the more I use it. It was temperamental at first, but I got a replacement. Mine doesn't stay connected unless I set up a cook. Sometimes I just want to monitor temps, but that doesn't seem to work. But now that I use it as intended (set up cooks), I like it for longer cooks like roasts, meat loafs, pork butt, and obviously rotisserie cooks. It does a nice job estimating cook times, except for items that hit a stall. I don't think it has very good bluetooth range, but it almost always reconnects once I get back in range.

I use my Wi-Fi 4-probe Inkbird a lot and it is my favorite, although after two years, I'm having trouble with a connection to my network. I'm going to reset it and reconnect before my next cook, and I'm sure it will be fine. I did have to get a new set of probes after 1.5 years since two of them stopped working properly. I like the Wi-Fi connectivity so I don't need to stay close to monitor my cook.

I will only buy something with a Wi-Fi connection from now on (and not the Meater version where I need to set up another device). I've heard mostly good things about the Chef IQ, but don't have personal experience. I'll be keeping my eye on the Thermoworks RFX reviews to see if that should be on my radar.
Good info! The ThermoWorks RFX is the one I am looking at. Their probes do not sense ambient temperature due to the proximity of the cold product and it not being as accurate, so they have a separate wired probe that connects to their WiFi bridge - the claim that it can be placed in a location away from the product to promote more accuracy and I tend to agree with their science. The pit temp reading on the connected PB board will suffice for that but the extra wired probe would be added assurance for a different chamber location. I have the ThermoWorks Smoke X4 and their probes use thermocouples (not NTC's) which have better accuracy and faster response time. If using these in an Oven or crock pot for indoor cooking ambient temp is not really needed. So, on that note I guess I just talked myself into it -- LoL

How do you like the Inkbird? BTW: Bluetooth is wireless - so when it says Bluetooth or WiFi both are wireless connections - (no wires needed for communication)
Yes mine is wireless but Bluetooth only. It will disconnect from my phone more than 50' away.
Since I only use it when I rotisserie cook live fire. No need for wifi.

Latest Discussions

Back