Boston Butt - Assistance Needed

GR8ONE68

Media
Reaction score
FNG here. This is my first post. I just finished my first Boston Butt, 10.5 lbs. I put it on at 10:00 last night @200 degrees. I put it in an aluminum roasting pan and covered it at 6:00 this morning @ an IT of 160 degrees and increased the smoker temp to 225 degrees. I pulled it off at 9:40 this morning @ an IT of 203 degrees. I was shooting for it to be done around noon or 1:00. We're taking it to a friend's house today to watch the Raven's game. I know it has to sit for 1 hour before I pull it apart and can easily go 2 hours. The problem is that we are not leaving for about 4.5 hours. When should I pull it apart and what should I do with it for the extra time?

I usually unwrap for 15 or 20 minutes to vent and then cover in foil again and put it in the oven at the lowest setting(In my case 170)to rest. Where your internal temp was 203 and the oven is at 170 it will not keep cooking. It will just hold it at a food safe temperature until you are ready to go. Leave it whole while it is resting in the oven and pull it at the last minute. Hope this helps you out.

I usually unwrap for 15 or 20 minutes to vent and then cover in foil again and put it in the oven at the lowest setting(In my case 170)to rest. Where your internal temp was 203 and the oven is at 170 it will not keep cooking. It will just hold it at a food safe temperature until you are ready to go. Leave it whole while it is resting in the oven and pull it at the last minute. Hope this helps you out.
Thanks Ant, that is what I'll do.

To finalize this for anyone that may read this in the future, I wanted to give feedback on the recommendation that I received. I did exactly as Ant recommended. The lowest setting on my oven is also 170 degrees. I put the covered roast in the oven at that set point. I put a probe in the oven to see what temp it would run at. My oven ran around 190 degrees at the lowest set point. I figured that since this was still below the 203 that I pulled the roast off of the smoker at, it would not continue to cook. It was in there for 2.5 hours. I took it out 15 minutes before we were ready to leave and pulled it apart. It was nice and hot, still very juicy, and broke up very easily. It tasted incredible, everyone enjoyed it.

Thanks for the assistance and the welcomes to the group.

One other thing that I did was to pour off the juices that collected during the cook. I saved them and skimmed off the fat. I poured some of it back over the roast after I pulled it apart. I didn't use nearly all of it as there was so much.

I'm attaching some pictures that I thought I posted with the original post, but it doesn't look like they came through. Hopefully, they come through this time.
20240119_110321.jpg
20240120_095811.jpg
20240120_095950.jpg

Looks great! Glad it worked for you. The other thing you could do was to let it vent for 15 minutes and then wrap the butt tightly in foil(not in the pan) and put it in a cooler wrapped in towels. It will hold for hours that way too. Sorry I didn't think to tell you that as well.

Looks great! Glad it worked for you. The other thing you could do was to let it vent for 15 minutes and then wrap the butt tightly in foil(not in the pan) and put it in a cooler wrapped in towels. It will hold for hours that way too. Sorry I didn't think to tell you that as well.
This is what I do. I've done brisket this way and pulled it out five hours later and it was still warm and ready to eat. Plus it's portable.

Latest Discussions

Back