Boston Butt Stall

Steve In Pa

Media
Reaction score
Never ran into a stall before but it seems I did today with a Boston Butt. Around 160 internal it just sat there. For a long time. After a couple hours I did a search on stallling and took the wrap in foil and raise the temperature option. It worked. About a half hour into the higher temp the temp problems started creeping up again. Finished fine, Mrs is currently processing the roast while I supervise. I was at about 225-230 when the stall hit. Raised up to 270 and that’s what seemed to kick start things again.

Yeah, the first time I ran into the stall I thought I was doing something wrong. I did the same thing, I researched it and found that it's common. I think I saw that wrapping in foil is called the Texas crutch. It definitely helps.

Yeah, the first time I ran into the stall I thought I was doing something wrong. I did the same thing, I researched it and found that it's common. I think I saw that wrapping in foil is called the Texas crutch. It definitely helps.
Interesting phenomenon
But can be handled

Im going low and slow tonight and going to try the wrap tomorrow in one of those foil pans so I can add a bit more seasoning and save some juices for the pull.

Saw it on the meat church yt channel he’s a Texas boy

Im going low and slow tonight and going to try the wrap tomorrow in one of those foil pans so I can add a bit more seasoning and save some juices for the pull.

Saw it on the meat church yt channel he’s a Texas boy
I just had a tight foil wrap with no pan and that held most of the juices while cooking, but I think the foil pan idea to catch stuff would be the better way to go.

One suggestion was to keep the water pan full and spritz often. Apparently that helps control evaporation. But I have the vertical model with a nice built in water pan. So I did all that including the spritzing anyway and still had the stall.

have hit stall many time the big briskets are the worst but there are debates on wrap or not to wrap on all meat I have had good results both ways I guess its how long you want to wait for your meal
For that reason and more is why I plan my prep to allow much more time than needed. Sometimes i cook a day in advance and then we reheat. Which is what a lot of pros do anyway.

Back