Brand New and Aleady Having Issues

Slider

Media
Reaction score
I just got a new new PB 850 Series 3 hours ago.

I am unable to connect the rig to the wifi app. I changed it to 2.4 mghz and it stil does not work. The app is not allowing me to manually enter my network and password information.

I called PB 5 times and they are sending me a new controller! Seriously? It's 3 hours old and I am already having problems. I sold my Traeger because of all the problems I had. Now I have this crap

Anyone ever have a problem like this?

I had the same issue right out of the box ! I also contacted Pit Boss customer service (who were very prompt and courteous) and after walking through all the trouble shooting procedures they decided I also had a bad controller and they are sending me a new one (its on back order) However although it did not connect to WI-FI it did connect through BLUE TOOTH and I am able to monitor and control my smoker from my Lazy Boy. Im ok using the Blue Tooth as long as I can establish a remote connection
I will probably just hold on to the new controller when it comes as a spare. Did you try connecting through Blue Tooth ?

I had the same issue right out of the box ! I also contacted Pit Boss customer service (who were very prompt and courteous) and after walking through all the trouble shooting procedures they decided I also had a bad controller and they are sending me a new one (its on back order) However although it did not connect to WI-FI it did connect through BLUE TOOTH and I am able to monitor and control my smoker from my Lazy Boy. Im ok using the Blue Tooth as long as I can establish a remote connection
I will probably just hold on to the new controller when it comes as a spare. Did you try connecting through Blue Tooth ?
I tried I don't know how many ways; nothing worked. The app is not allowing me to enter my network and password information manually. I don't see a workaround to fix this issue. The controller has been ordered. But I am so pissed because the rig is hours old. I got it at 10 am. I've been trying to fix this problem since 1 pm EST.

First cook. It came out great!

Attachments

• 20240223_184505.jpg
    20240223_184505.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 20240223_184627.jpg
    20240223_184627.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 20240223_184743.jpg
    20240223_184743.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 19
Slider looks like some good stuff there.

I lurked here while researching what I wanted to buy. Somewhere there is a thread from the PB app team tooting their horn about the stuff they did. Oddly awol now and by multiple threads the wifi is dicey. I bought mine knowing this. It's never been tried let alone connected. It holds temp like it should and is outside the kitchen door so I an never far.

I use wifi probes to keep an eye on things and it works for me.

Funny story recently a guy shows up popping a gasket about I bought wifi I want wifi. OK, I think I said good luck on your search for a wifi system that smokes meat.

Swap the controllers and I hope it works and keep the original for backup. It works just won't talk.

Smokey - one of the reasons I wanted a wifi unit was because I am on permanent disability after 3 major back surgeries (spinal tumors, laminectomy). This makes going back and forth to the rig difficult. With wifi, I can monitor everything from my sofa. One suggestion was to reboot the router. I'll do this and see if that works. And, as you said, I'll swap out the controller and see if that works. Thank you

Slider I hear what you are saying. If ALL else fails a lot of guys here have inkbird wifi thermometers so you can tell what's going on. They seem to be pretty well liked and reasonably priced. Bypasses the PB wifi except for temp adjustment.

I FIXED THE WIFI ISSUE. Here is the solution...

• Whatever Pit Boss account you have on your app, delete it. The reinstall the app
  • Create a new account and password
  • Follow the steps to set-up your new grill
  • Be sure you have a wifi network dedicated for 2.5 mghz
  • Enter your wifi network name and password
  • Follow the app screen prompts

After I did the above, my smoker was connected and I was able to control it from my app

I hope this helps anyone who had the same problem that I had.

I FIXED THE WIFI ISSUE. Here is the solution...

• Whatever Pit Boss account you have on your app, delete it. The reinstall the app
  • Create a new account and password
  • Follow the steps to set-up your new grill
  • Be sure you have a wifi network dedicated for 2.5 mghz
  • Enter your wifi network name and password
  • Follow the app screen prompts

After I did the above, my smoker was connected and I was able to control it from my app

I hope this helps anyone who had the same problem that I had.
When it works it's a nice feature, but sadly it's inconsistent. I believe it has something to do with Pit Boss servers. Both the app and the grills controller communicate with each other over the internet through Pit Boss servers. If there's an issue with the server, the communication breaks down. I posted more about it here. https://www.pitbossforum.com/threads/new-pitboss-grills-app.2680/post-27802

I use wife-fi on mine. I have her keep an eye on it periodically if Im cutting grass or working on something. I don’t leave mine plugged in, so I never bothered with WiFi or blutooth.

Back