Brunswick vertical smoker issues....

Barefootdog

Reaction score
This thing is wearing me out.
Owned/used it for 2 years or so now.
I'm not new to this. I've owned electric smokers before this one.
I don't trust this Brunswick one bit.
Can't turn your back on it.

Was doing more jerky yesterday.
Selected temperature was 170 and it held around that for hours.

Went out to check progress and the thing was at 245 and climbing.

Re-selected 160 and the situation stabilized so I went back the 170.
It stabilized at that temperature.

Went out to check and the thing was at 132 and dropping.

In the past hopper fires have followed wide temperature swings and significant increases in smoke.
I don't trust this thing,

I stopped doing long or overnight cooks.
Can't imagine going to sleep with this thing running under the patio cover attached to the house.

Yes....PB has sent replacement controller.
Yes....I do clean this after every use.
Yes....I use good quality properly stored pellets.

Now the right door handle that secures the doors is becoming impossible to operate.
This thing is wearing me out.....

Last edited:
I will share my experience with my Lexington Pit Boss grill. I began to have uncontrolled temperatures which could go very high. I called customer service and they asked about my start up procedure in detail. I was skipping a step and went directly to the cooking temperature rather than Smoke and staying there until the electric starter was turned off. I have now run my grill two times following the correct procedure with no problems. I bought a wireless temperature monitor with an alarm to help me watch the temperature. It was well worth it. Although I was surprised that the controller could get into a bad state, it is digital and those things do go crazy when a bit is incorrect. I will say that I wish Pit Boss would design in defaults that prevent runaway temperatures.

I will share my experience with my Lexington Pit Boss grill. I began to have uncontrolled temperatures which could go very high. I called customer service and they asked about my start up procedure in detail. I was skipping a step and went directly to the cooking temperature rather than Smoke and staying there until the electric starter was turned off. I have now run my grill two times following the correct procedure with no problems. I bought a wireless temperature monitor with an alarm to help me watch the temperature. It was well worth it. Although I was surprised that the controller could get into a bad state, it is digital and those things do go crazy when a bit is incorrect. I will say that I wish Pit Boss would design in defaults that prevent runaway temperatures.
The SmokeIT app caused my 1150 to do that

Latest Discussions

Back