Copperhead 3 Temp Probe Location

hurleydawg

Reaction score
New to the group. If the post is not done right please let me know.

From what I've seen on here so far it's a common issue that the temperature probe is reading temp near the fire pot near the bottom of the smoker. Of course the typical cooking zone is higher up in the smoker so there will be a difference in the temps. What would be y'alls thoughts on placing the temperature probe higher up, in or nearer the cooking zone?. Only issue I see would be finding a probe that's compatible with the existing wiring connection and with long enough lead to reach the existing connection.

Thoughts?????

Monitoring at the cooking zone is what a lot of members do also. If you do not have that capability just buy a Bluetooth wireless unit. mine ( TempSpike by ThermPro ) has two probe readings, one where it is inserted into the meat and the other end sticking out has its own reading also. Do a search on the site and see what other members seem to find works best?

Attachments

• IMG_0705[1].JPG
    IMG_0705[1].JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Thanks for the "welcomes" and suggestions. I do use independent probes with telemetry on the grates and adjust the setpoint temp accordingly. Just trying to think of ways to simplify the cook. With a PID probe near the actual cooking zone controlling the auger it would hopefully minimize having to make manual adjustments to the setpoint temp to accommodate the location distance. You got it, I'm lazy. Again, thanks.

New to the group. If the post is not done right please let me know.

From what I've seen on here so far it's a common issue that the temperature probe is reading temp near the fire pot near the bottom of the smoker. Of course the typical cooking zone is higher up in the smoker so there will be a difference in the temps. What would be y'alls thoughts on placing the temperature probe higher up, in or nearer the cooking zone?. Only issue I see would be finding a probe that's compatible with the existing wiring connection and with long enough lead to reach the existing connection.

Thoughts?????
I have a 3 Series vertical and in my experience the main temp probe is about as accurate as one could expect right where it is. Being that we have 4 adjustable grates, the ambient temperature is going to vary at the different levels anyway. In my unit, if the grates are close to evenly spaced, the two middle grates will be very close to the set temp while the top and bottom grates will be 10-15 degrees higher. So if I'm cooking in the middle range I am usually very close to the set temp. If I have multiple racks loaded up I will occasionally rotate them from middle to upper/lower and back. I also have an Inkbird 4 probe digital thermometer to check both ambient and internal temps. That said, I'm of the opinion that we tend to way overthink our temperature control. I don't ever recall walking through my grandmother's kitchen and seeing 4 probe wires hanging out of her oven yet the apple pie turned out great every time! 😁

I agree 100% with everybody! The temp probe is in the hottest part of the smoker. I use auxiliary temp probes. The Temp will vary in the vertical box no matter what you do depending on ambient temp, wind and the amount of food in the smoker. I think it would be extremely beneficial to move the probe to the middle. Maybe someday Pit Boss will change that and offer an upgrade. It is a universal observation it is in the wrong spot. The reason being, the unit will shut down from overheat before it reached the higher temps in the middle, if you are trying to use the higher temps. I Think the comment about "we worry about it too much" is spot on. In the 60's we used to smoke the meat by hand feel of the heat. I think if you keep it within 25 degrees or so plus or minus, with an average temp of what you need to be at, it will be great. I am very used to an electric smoker that holds the temp very accurately and steady. The end result if I hold my average temps on the pellet smoker are the same, I get fatter.

Latest Discussions

Back