DIY mods for Austin Xl

Marstial

Reaction score
Hello all, thank you for reading me,
TL : DR : looking for resources/dimensions for the air gap mod and diffuser for a Pit Boss Austin XL
My name is Martial, I live in France where pellet smokers and grills are kind of a new thing. I spent some times in some American friends's house last year near Morristown NJ where I discovered these kind of grills and decided to purchase one myself.
Before I continue please forgive me if what I'm asking is illegal in any way, if so I'll remove my messages.
I purchased an Austin XL, scrolled through the internet beforehand and saw a lot of interesting mods to add to the assembly to make this machine a real competitor before realizing some are hard to come by where I live.
My concern is in regards to consistent heat management and I'd like to install two things, the heat difuser above the fire pit and the air gap filler for the left side of the diffuser plate. I'd like to build them myself, I am generally skilled in mechanics and metal working, but in order to make sure I do a good job I would like to ask the community if someone has the dimensions and thickness of both these elements ? I think I may be able to get these dimensions myself but since there is existing solutions that fit perfectly if that's allowed I could reuse the same dimensions.
In last resort I could purchase those directly from smokeslikeaboss but with shipping from the US of A I'm looking at triple the price it should be.

Again thanks for reading me

Martial

I'm not sure if it is an illegal request or not, but I'm probably not going to be the one to give out dimensions of a patented product. That being said, since you live in France and the SLAB options are cost prohibitive due to shipping, I can at least give you some guidance. If you check the other thread that you posted to, you can probably get a good sense of the dimensions of the flame tamer based on how it sits around the screw heads on my burn pot. It doesn't need to have four windows - just look at SLAB website for their original flame tamer for ideas. There are also alternatives for this on Amazon if you want to know the correct thickness of your stainless steel.

As far as the air gap mod, in the short term, just use a piece of aluminum foil (folded so that it is at least 6 layers thick) and wrap it around the end of the rounded drip so that it blocks the air gap. That's what I did until I purchased one. In the meantime, I've seen people use the radius of the drip pan to draw on a piece of cardboard and then start fashioning a mockup until they were pleased with the design. Then transfer that to a piece of stainless and do your thing.

I hope this helps.

Latest Discussions

Back