Dry rub now or tomorrow?

MikeInFla

Staff member
Media
Reaction score
Going to do a small pork shoulder tomorrow (4 lbs). Wondering if I should put the dry rub on tonight or right before I put it in the Pit Boss. Have never tried a rub overnight before. Any suggestions?

Also, once I hit the stall I always wrap in foil. Was thinking of trying paper but not sure if that’s good for a pork shoulder or not. Previously I have used butcher paper only on beef. Thinking I might get a better bark if I use paper instead of foil.

Going to do a small pork shoulder tomorrow (4 lbs). Wondering if I should put the dry rub on tonight or right before I put it in the Pit Boss. Have never tried a rub overnight before. Any suggestions?

Also, once I hit the stall I always wrap in foil. Was thinking of trying paper but not sure if that’s good for a pork shoulder or not. Previously I have used butcher paper only on beef. Thinking I might get a better bark if I use paper instead of foil.
I always rub mine down the night before so it can soak in

The first shoulder I did I wrapped at stall and the bark was not crisp when I took it out. Since I have never wrapped while on the smoker. I paper wrap it when I take it out and drop it in a cooler to rest.

I started running in P modes the whole time to stall. P0, P1 to maintain 225ish. When it stalls I may leave it there if time permits for more smoke time. When I'm ready to eat soonish I'll kick the rig to a higher temp around 275-300, either by P0 or straight temp setting depending on how the rig is running that day, to push it through the stall until I pull it out. Pink paper wrap then wrap with a towel and into a cooler.

I normally run them to 165-170 because I slice it rather than shred it. The shoulders I run are around 10 pounds so I would probably run the P setting a little higher for a lower temp on a smaller shoulder.

You get not any bark after you wrap.
Seasoning the Meat Overnight Vs just before

Yeah it’s just me, wife and daughters. Have always used foil but may give paper a shot. I know foil keeps the steam in and keeps it moist. Not sure on butcher paper. I keep going back and forth in my mind. One minute I say “ok foil” then the next minute “ok butcher paper”. o_O

Latest Discussions

Back