ERL Error

rmns116

Reaction score
I have been searching through the forums for the past few weeks to find a solution to my problem. So far, I have yet to try anything. I have a Pro Series Vertical Smoker (PBV4PS2) that worked fine until about halfway through a pork butt smoke earlier this summer. I had issues with the unit maintaining its temperature and found that the temp had dropped significantly. I finished that cook in the oven. A few weeks later I attempted another smoke. The unit would not get up to temp this time, and I received the ERL error—the drill, firebox, and fan work. I noticed the smoker continued to dump pellets into the firebox. And I mean a lot. The pellets smother the fire and seem to come out almost continuously. I referenced my manual and came to the forum to seek an answer. I have cleaned the entire unit. Clean the RTD probe. Cleared out all pellets and vacuumed the smoker out. It looks almost brand new. I just tried to heat up the unit and 30 minutes in had the same thing happen. Before jumping off the deep end, is this simply a flawed RTD temp probe that needs to be replaced? Or am I looking at the entire controller? Does anyone have any suggestions before I start trying to purchase parts by trial-and-error?

Welcome from Texas to the group!!
You need to clean the temperature sensor
It stops temperature swings and keeps a constant temperature
I clean mine with dawn and a sponge.
Hopefully this helps you 🇺🇸🇺🇸

Thanks for the hearty welcome.

I have cleaned the sensor. It looks shiny and new.
Then I would call pitboss support first thing in the morning is the best time. Could be a controller issue and also make sure the igniter isn’t loose or setting to far back

I have the same smoker and agree with Cowboy, give customer service a call, it's under warranty and the parts are free 877 303 3134 option 2. Controller swap out on it is really easy to do.

I know everyone is waiting on bated breath for me to update.

Talked with Pit Boss first thing Monday morning. The call went right through. Spoke with a customer service rep that gave me a couple of diagnostic steps to perform. I did not have high hopes. But I did as they said, and then low and behold, it appears to be a fan issue. Called back first thing this morning, and again call went right to a representative. They are shipping out a new fan today. Hopefully, this fixes the issue, now I feel dumb I didn't diagnose a fan issue prior to calling.

Maybe this thread will help someone else in the same predicament.

Cheers!

I have been searching through the forums for the past few weeks to find a solution to my problem. So far, I have yet to try anything. I have a Pro Series Vertical Smoker (PBV4PS2) that worked fine until about halfway through a pork butt smoke earlier this summer. I had issues with the unit maintaining its temperature and found that the temp had dropped significantly. I finished that cook in the oven. A few weeks later I attempted another smoke. The unit would not get up to temp this time, and I received the ERL error—the drill, firebox, and fan work. I noticed the smoker continued to dump pellets into the firebox. And I mean a lot. The pellets smother the fire and seem to come out almost continuously. I referenced my manual and came to the forum to seek an answer. I have cleaned the entire unit. Clean the RTD probe. Cleared out all pellets and vacuumed the smoker out. It looks almost brand new. I just tried to heat up the unit and 30 minutes in had the same thing happen. Before jumping off the deep end, is this simply a flawed RTD temp probe that needs to be replaced? Or am I looking at the entire controller? Does anyone have any suggestions before I start trying to purchase parts by trial-and-error?
Had the same problem. In my case, the culprit turned out to be old pellets that burned too hot. (They were old because I've spent the last 12 months calling support trying to get that same model smoker to work. Four replaced ignitors and a new control board later the thing was finally working until I tried to use those old pellets. ERL.)

Had the same problem

Did not realize old pellets burn hot. I still have an unopened bag I bought from Sam’s over a year ago. I’ll keep an eye on them. Will try them out but may mix them with something else at first to try and make sure they don’t burn too hot.

Back