Error L82 possible causes

Hondafiend

Reaction score
Hey Everyone, new to the site and new to smoking. Got my 820 sportsman 2 weeks ago, used it once for 5 hours beside burn in.
Anyways during the last hour of my rib cook the smoker kept shutting off and throwing a L82 code, it would do it every minute from that point on. Called support, got my new board today.. installed it.... Same issue, turns off even quicker now. This tech is sending out another board but this seems weird it would throw the same error on 2 boards. This last tech mentioned checking the grounding wire.
Has anyone else run into this error and what ended up being the fix. Apparently it's a programming error??. I'll look at the grounding wire but looking for other ideas while I sit here waiting..again... Smoker throws the code plugged directly to outlet as well as HD 12ft extension cord btw.

Thank you.

Hey Everyone, new to the site and new to smoking. Got my 820 sportsman 2 weeks ago, used it once for 5 hours beside burn in.
Anyways during the last hour of my rib cook the smoker kept shutting off and throwing a L82 code, it would do it every minute from that point on. Called support, got my new board today.. installed it.... Same issue, turns off even quicker now. This tech is sending out another board but this seems weird it would throw the same error on 2 boards. This last tech mentioned checking the grounding wire.
Has anyone else run into this error and what ended up being the fix. Apparently it's a programming error??. I'll look at the grounding wire but looking for other ideas while I sit here waiting..again... Smoker throws the code plugged directly to outlet as well as HD 12ft extension cord btw.

Thank you.
Welcome from Texas to the group!!
First thing is to get rid of the extension cord if you can.
Plug it in directly to a plug
Start it up and see what happens
If it’s still happening call pitboss support and ask them to send you a new controller
Let me know what you find out 🇺🇸🇺🇸

Thank you.
Not a programming error, L82 is a programming code. Thr error is in the physical construct of th controller. It happens.
Have you tried resetting the controller?

Attachments

• IMG_3057.jpeg
    IMG_3057.jpeg
    345.3 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_2955.jpeg
    IMG_2955.jpeg
    925.5 KB · Views: 299
Great info! I'll give this a go after work tomorrow!!
Just giving a final update, after trying to reset the controller and playing with the grounding wire as mentioned above to no avail, my second replacement control board arrived and everything now seems to be working fine.. display is even brighter than the original and first replacement. Crazy it took 3 boards to get it going, when you read the negative reviews online you never think you will experience things like that. Thank you all for the feedback, looking forward to getting some hours under my belt now. St.Louis's on as I type this!!

Merry Christmas!

Back