Excess Dust

Razor

Reaction score
I opened a new bag of pellets this past weekend. It was a blend I got at wally world. Anyway, it was so dusty I was fearful that it would clog my pit master! Do name brand pellets have less dust? How do I separate the dust from the good pellets. Thanks & keep on smokin'!

I opened a new bag of pellets this past weekend. It was a blend I got at wally world. Anyway, it was so dusty I was fearful that it would clog my pit master! Do name brand pellets have less dust? How do I separate the dust from the good pellets. Thanks & keep on smokin'!
Dust in the bag brought home is the fault of the person buying it and dust in a hopper is the fault of the person filling it.

Don’t need to sift your pellets if you’re careful buying your bags... look for crushed edges and holes. Don’t buy if it is stored outside and don’t buy the bottom bags of a pallet.

I found, after throwing away a half bag of dust, to check the edges and bottom of the bags for concentrations of dust from the bags being tossed around or crushed. Also if they have been stored outside, and the bottom is wet or have lots of little pinholes or dust from sitting in the rain and being dragged on the concrete, I’ll pass.

I don’t buy any that are stored outside in the garden center anymore and if stored inside, I’m not afraid to put a couple of bags in to the aisles and check them. I’ve left 3-4 bad bags in the aisles and told the clerks that they were bad. Not surprisingly 4 of the 5 out them back on the stack for the next guy.

I store mine in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid and I run them through a colander before I put them in it. I also sift them again before adding them to the hopper. When I get through cooking and it’s cooled down, I’ll take my shop vac and blow the accumulated dust out. I also vacuum out my burn pot and the inside of the grill.

When you get a bag of any brand it's best to sift them with a 1/4" mesh sifter. This one is very popular for this purpose and will often prevent auger jambs. It fits over a 5 gallon bucket so when you sift all the small pieces and dust fall into the bucket and pour what is left into another bucket or the pellet hopper.

Latest Discussions

Back