First Pork Shoulder

JeffinMaine

Media
Reaction score
Hello Everyone I am JeffinMaine and this is my very first post.

We have a Pit Boss 700FBW2 and today for the very first time I am attempting a Pork Shoulder. It is a 9# bone in that I rubbed yesterday about 9am and started on the smoker at 3am today. It spent the day in the fridge then at 9pm last evening I took it out and sat it on the countertop to begin trying to let it come up closer to room temp.
When I plugged in the probe at 3 am it said it was 66* internal so it did warm up some.
Today the outdoor temp is 72* right now at 7:30 am and a light misting rain. The grill in on our covered deck and I am using Pit Boss Apple wood pellets. The meat is directly on the cooking grate fat cap up and has a temp probe pushed way down deep at an angle into the center but not touching the bone. We have the wife's family coming over at 5 pm to eat. The web is way too full of can't miss hints, can't miss recipes, and the best way to cook everything as you all know.

So I had to choose one method to look at so , here is my plan please give me a shout if you think this will work well or if you see a big problem. Right now the meat has been on the grill for 4.5 hours and has an internal temp of 155* ( this sounds way hotter than I expected it to be this early.)
I have the grill set to 250* but based on the internal of 155* right now only 4.5 hours in I just lowered the temp to 225* Anyway the plan is to cook till I get an internal temp of 175* then remove and wrap--- then return to the smoker and set the temp up to 300* and go for another 4-5 hours looking for an internal temp of 205*. Then open the foil up and let it set for 15min ( I am unsure if the meat needs to be removed from the grill for 15minutes or just uncovered for 15 minutes) If you know please tell me. Then re-wrap it and let it set for 1 hour. This whole process is supposed to take about 13 hours. Does this sound right? Thanks Jeff

Jeff, first off, welcome.

The whole thing sounds plausible but honestly I don't run mine over about 175 and slice it rather than ended up "pulled" I run by temp and never worried about time. I run to stall temperature in the P settings, holding around 225 deg. As the time to eat comes closer I'll kick the temp to 300ish to push it through the stall.

I've never wrapped them in the smoker, just wrap in paper and then a towel and toss it on a cooler for a couple of hours before I slice it up.

Lots of ways out there you just have to run them how they work out for you and the schedule you are trying to hit.

Thank you
I'm at 170* interior temp right now and we don't eat till 5pm so yea there's that ha ha.

I will pull it off the smoker in a moment and cover it I will add some peach juice vinegar and water mixed up into the pan I will put the meat into a pan and cover it. I agree sliced might be great, but everyone is expecting pulled pork. We have bought rolls and stuff to make coleslaw with and the wife will make baked beans to go with it, with some smoked pork lean & fat cooked in the beans. I guess if I don't try the recipe all the way through, I won't know how it turns out. I was basically worried that I may be doing something nuts and wanted some reassurance from people that know best. I expected to move the pork from the cooker and cover it at 175* and I expected that to happen around 10 well its almost 9:30 now so it may be right on schedule I did start it about 45 minutes earlier than the recipe called for because I was worried about the size of the meat. I should have known better " never show fear of the meat, it knows..."

This is what it looks like, I just placed the pan under it. Its very humid out 90% and it affected the photo I think

Attachments

• IMG_0548.JPG
    IMG_0548.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 12
Boy that 9# roast went fast we have about a pound left over. Yes it all went well I will send a address for the next one. I left it plain i did not sauce it and mix it i let each person put what they wanted on it. I like vinegar based sauces i do not like overly sweet one. My wife bought 2 bottles at the local grocery store. She got some Carolina based mustard sauce ( yuck) and a squeezable bottle called "Kinder" that one was good. I have found one other that I like I have to order it online though Its called "Killer Hogs" vinegar based? sauce I like that the best so far.

Latest Discussions

Back