First time pellet smoker

Saul D

Media
Reaction score
Learning to smoke for a small family, such as country style ribs and pull pork from a single pork shoulder, or smoking the point and flat separately for smaller cooks. Still learning how to control my Pit Boss, I tend to overcook my meat even when cooking low and slow. My theory is too much convection and need to wrap sooner to preserve moisture. Maybe my smoker would run better cooking hot and fast. I’d like to hear your opinions on hot/fast vs. low/slow on your pellet smokers.

Welcome from East Texas to the group!
I’ve always done low and slow.
The one thing also is internal temperature
Which is very important. Internal temperature tells you when to wrap along with when to pull it off the grill. I have a large can that I put either apple juice or water in and a cheap foil pan under the grates.
I always use the 3-2-1 on ribs.
3 hours on the grates spraying with apple juice every 30 minutes

2 hours wrapped in foil. I pour Dr Pepper or sprite in with the ribs

At 1 hour I pull them out of the foil back on the grates and mop your favorite bbq sauce on them

Hopefully this helps you 🇺🇸🇺🇸

Learning to smoke for a small family, such as country style ribs and pull pork from a single pork shoulder, or smoking the point and flat separately for smaller cooks. Still learning how to control my Pit Boss, I tend to overcook my meat even when cooking low and slow. My theory is too much convection and need to wrap sooner to preserve moisture. Maybe my smoker would run better cooking hot and fast. I’d like to hear your opinions on hot/fast vs. low/slow on your pellet smokers.
My best advice coming from a pitboss owner who has thought quite a few times of throwing the damn thing away is: Get a multiple probe thermometer like the Weber Igrill and place 3 probes left, center, right on the grates. Mine had a swing of over 100 degrees across the grill. Spend 40$ for a baffle sold on amazon that fits the pitboss. I now have less than 25 degree difference in temp. Pay little attention to the actual temp on the pitboss screen because its placed on the coolest side of the grill.

I prefer low and slow for most smoking that I do. I smoke to temp and feel, not to time. Use a water pan spritz on occasion until your bark sets then wrap at that point if you want to. There are a lot of good guys and ladies on Youtube that have great content to learn with, but develop what works best for you and your family's taste. Remember that when you pull meat off and let it rest, it will still continue to cook for a while unless you “burp” the meat first. open the wrap and let it cool for a few minutes the. wrap back up to rest. Have fun, take your time and enjoy. Cooking like this takes an investment in time, learning and pouring your love into it for others to enjoy with you. Good luck, fail fast, learn every time and don’t count the calories.

Back