Flame deflector

Geovwood

Reaction score
Don't spend money on a flame deflector. Do this instead:

1. Remove the broiler plate and flame slider plate.
2. Take the slider plate and place it over the firebox and center it. It's a perfect fit. Good clearance over firebox and the bent edges rest nicely against the front and back of the smoker barrel. You would think it was designed to be used as a flame deflector. This gets rid of the hot spot in the center of the grill and spreads the heat evenly.
3. Put the boiler plate back into the smoker and over the slider plate.

It's that easy.

2. Take the slider plate and place it over the firebox and center it. It's a perfect fit. Good clearance over firebox and the bent edges rest nicely against the front and back of the smoker barrel. You would think it was designed to be used as a flame deflector. This gets rid of the hot spot in the center of the grill and spreads the heat evenly.

It's that easy.
Thanks for the input and welcome from Texas to the group! 🇺🇸🇨🇱

Great idea, Geovwood. I just couldn't bring myself to drop $39 + shipping on one so I made me one. The jury's still out if it helps or not.
Pit Boss Lexington MODS 26.jpg

Yeah, I saw a video where a guy modified his with a rod to move the flame Tamer out of the way along with another rod to move the slide plate to open up the slots; all this to sear. I'll continue to do my burgers and other grilling on my kettle.
I've thought about a deflector but I do burgers on sear all the time.

It's that easy.
Great idea. That's why I love good forums like this one.

Latest Discussions

Back