Getting Smoke

Steve In Pa

Media
Reaction score
I get more than ample smoke from my tubes when I use about a 50 50 mix of pellets and chips. It billows.

The vertical just by itself requires some human intervention it seems.

On my smoke setting, 130F I get off and on smoke rather than continuous. Here’s my theory.

The panel’s brain says feed pellets until the probe reaches the target temp. To get more smoke I think there needs to be more pellets in the pot than the CP is feeding via the auger. The smoke comes from the smoldering process, so once temp is reached, we need to have some extra pellets in there to just smolder.

So I’ve tried hitting the auger button now and then during the smoke. So far, it seems that bump of pellets, once the target temp is reached, helps then with generating more smoke.

I hope that makes sense.

I have a PBV 4 and never thought about it that way might have to try it some time in the mean time I use a smoke tube
The smoke tubes are more than sufficient for my purposes, especially with a mix of pellets and chips. But I’ll keep testing the Prime button in the smoke mode to see what happens.
Another observation is when I start my PB I get a good bit of smoke right off. That’s probably because not all the pellets are fully burning yet and generate smoke. Once the PB gets fully underway is when my smoke diminishes a lot in the general cooking mode like say 225-250 range.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back