got 2 pitboss smokers from neighbor need help troubleshooting please

Sand1303

Reaction score
hello all,

ok heres the situation im in. i picked up 2 smokers from the side of the road that they didnt want, of course they have problems because they were free!

First smoker: vertical pitboss platimum brunswick model pbv5pl
this smoker was brand new had never seen smoke before. there was a big dent in the top back right corner looks like maybe someone let it fall off a truck or something. zero smoke residue inside. guy said it was given to him, he tried firing it up and it wouldnt heat up for him. i determined the auger wasnt turning at all because it had been seized up from the drop im assuming. i bought a new auger motor from a pitboss parts supplier and it started feeding pellets. i got it to heat up and start smoking. problem is temperature keeps climbing way past the set point. at least 100 degrees before i shut it off. i first set it to 200 it got well into the 300s. so i did a little research and tried to do the initial burn in procedure that is recommended. i set it at 400 and was planning on running it for an hour but it got almost to 500 and i shut it off. i did buy a rtd sensor and it didnt level out the temps. so far ive replaced the auger motor and a rtd temp sensor but when it didnt fix it i put back in the stock rtd sensor. im stuck with this one considering buying a new circuit board but not sure i want to spend almost 200 on a hunch

second smoker horizontal pitboss pb110ps1
the guy said this one kept jamming on him but i wasnt getting it to actually turn on. the power cord has some burn marks on it where it melted through the outer insulation so i ordered a new cord and still am not getting power with new cord. i havent spent a lot of time on this one because i have been focused on the brunswick.

i would love to get these guys up and working so any help would be appreciated thank you!!!

Last edited:
20230626_101955.jpg
20230626_102050.jpg

So I haven't fooled with them for a little while I cleaned the platinum out and opened everything up. The problem is my auger is not stopping. It runs constant and is continuously feeding pellets non stop. I did read sometimes the polarity is reversed and can cause this. So I swapped the polarity with the same results. Is it possible I ordered the wrong auger motor and that's causing it to run non stop?

I would check to see if all of the wiring connections are correct. If the wiring harness for the auger got switched with another component, you might see the issue that you are experiencing. For example, if the auger motor is accidentally hooked up to either the igniter or fan output, that would cause it to run continuously when you first turn it on.

If a couple of components were switched, I'm not sure if it would throw an error code right away or not, or it would just try to run until it figured out something was wrong.

Yes! I looked at the wiring diagram and sure enough I had two connectors that didn't belong with the wires they were connected to so I swapped them and it seems to have done the trick! Held at 155 for about 20 min and auger went on and off with the display instead of constant. So I got me a 40$ brunswick on my hands. Happy happy happy!

Back