Hey Everybody!! Blue Blazing PBVA21Questions

Lonewolf92c

Media
Reaction score
Brand new to Forum. Taught to smoke on stick burner and then Traeger pellet by great competition guy and friend. I'm no amateur, but ALWAYS open to learning more about the craft.

Fast forward 10 years and getting back to smoking. Picked up "new, never used" electric, analog Blue Blazing PBVA21 from a friend for $100. I'll eventually upgrade to a big pellet grill but for now I have to make do.

Did burn off, then seasoning run yesterday with my new TempSpike thermometers in a couple of onion halves. I found and marked settings to run it at 225'ish over long period of time.

I have a couple of questions that maybe you experts with same or similar model can help with.

1) As smoker was heating up, it started rolling some nice smoke at 225'ish. After recommended 20 minute heat up cycle, I dialed it down looking for 225'ish. It seemed to lose smoke production. (See pic of chip tray after 7-8 hour run. Lots of "charcoal" left of chips).
Do I have to run 250'ish and up for good smoke?
Anyone using a smoke tube?
20230619_122347.jpg
20230619_122357.jpg

2) I had 12-16 degree difference between ambient temp at bottom tray(lower temp) and middle tray. I started with water pan 3/4" full, as recommended, and add water evaporated and it's thermal mass was diminished Temps got closer to each other until they pretty much matched.
How many of you use water pan?
Is it required/recommended as unit is not tightly sealed?

3) Any "must do" mods you guys/gals are doing to improve performance of stock unit?

Thanks and let the comments and advice fly!!!!

I hear you should use the water pan as it helps equalize the temp if you have high/low spots. Pretty new myself so take it with a grain of salt.

As for the seal of the unit...my smoker is vertical like yours and i ended up buying a gasket seal. I just felt the installed seal was a joke and too much smoke was being lost.

I bought a lavalock high temp gasket seal off amazon. about 20 bucks for 15ft and it fit nicely on the door and frame.

Welcome to the forum.

Back