High Heat Over Fire Pot/Center of Grill

Smoked

Reaction score
After a pork tenderloin burned in 30 minutes I thought I'd make my own flame diffuser. After making it and testing to see if this fixed the hot spot I discovered that, with the temp set to 225, the center of the grill reaches 550+ degrees while the left and right maintain the 225 range. This set me on a path of near insanity trying to troubleshoot the problem. I placed a probe next to the smokers probe to compare those readings and then one on the left, center, and right of grill. My probe next to the grill's probe consistently read 30-40 degrees lower than the control board reading. the left and right probes hovered around the 225 range with the expected fluctuations. The center continued to skyrocket to 550 and only get as low as 350. I cleaned the grill's probe; same problem persisted. I am going to replace the grill's probe since it's the easiest and cheapest thing to do but are there any other known issues I should be checking for? If a new probe doesn't fix it I'll try a new control board. Any recommendations for a control board (in case I need to go that route)? I have a PB0820D3. Thank you for the help!

This is going to sound like a dumb question, but I have to ask. Is your slide plate covering all of the slats on the broiler plate over the fire pot? The rest of your temp readings sound somewhat normal. I did a ton of temperature tests as well on mine before I put in a flame diffuser. The middle spot over the fire pot was only 50-100 degrees more than the rest of the grill. You're readings of over 300° more doesn't make sense.

Latest Discussions

Back