High temp at smoke setting initial turn on

chris81

Reaction score
Turn on pit boss for startup and turn to smoke setting. Temp is already at 200 or so degrees. Then when I try to set a temp example 250 the digital temp shows way above (450 degrees). Do I need a new sensor, is it something within the control board with the digital read out of the temp?

Sounds like a bad sensor if it was working and now it's not -- one more thing to check is the connector plug where the pit sensor plugs into the control board - it is possible that there could be some corrosion or tin whiskering that that can add resistance and alter the sensor reading. Try cleaning the terminals and see if it changes anything.

Sounds like a bad sensor if it was working and now it's not -- one more thing to check is the connector plug where the pit sensor plugs into the control board - it is possible that there could be some corrosion or tin whiskering that that can add resistance and alter the sensor reading. Try cleaning the terminals and see if it changes anything.
There is a firmware issue going on . Pit boss did a video of my smoker to bring back to the IT team to figure things out . They sent me 2 control boards the first one I updated and the updated was updating and stopped at 80% and failed. Redid it again and it completed , but the temperature just keeps going. So the second one they sent they leave the firmware alone and don’t use the app for now because the app will ask to update. They are aware of the glitch , I was told give them 30 -60 days to respond for a fix . It’s been 2 weeks. My smoker is a Brunswick Platinum vertical smoker.
It might be your issue too. Pit Boss covered the cost, they were great to work with.

Rob from NC

Back