Hopper grate mod?

djsams

Media
Reaction score
Hi All! I have my new PB Vertical 3 Series Pellet Smoker assembled and have completed the burn out. I've been absorbing as much info from these forums as possible. Many threads offer advice to help avoid auger clogs due to humidity and pellet dust in the hopper. I look at my hopper and find it odd that the pellets fall a couple of feet from the top to the bottom, which in my mind would seem to cause some pellet crushing at the bottom, especially the first couple of pounds as they land near the auger. (Sifting first makes sense but wouldn't solve this problem.) Has anyone attempted any mods to try to give the pellets a softer landing? The obvious but most aggressive approach would be to cut out the grates at the top and be able to reach down with your arm with the first few scoops of pellets. Am I worrying about a non-issue or have some of you attempted to come up with a mod for this potential problem? Thanks! Dan

I have not had a problem in the 2 years I ad mine. I do shift the pellets before adding them.

Hi All! I have my new PB Vertical 3 Series Pellet Smoker assembled and have completed the burn out. I've been absorbing as much info from these forums as possible. Many threads offer advice to help avoid auger clogs due to humidity and pellet dust in the hopper. I look at my hopper and find it odd that the pellets fall a couple of feet from the top to the bottom, which in my mind would seem to cause some pellet crushing at the bottom, especially the first couple of pounds as they land near the auger. (Sifting first makes sense but wouldn't solve this problem.) Has anyone attempted any mods to try to give the pellets a softer landing? The obvious but most aggressive approach would be to cut out the grates at the top and be able to reach down with your arm with the first few scoops of pellets. Am I worrying about a non-issue or have some of you attempted to come up with a mod for this potential problem? Thanks! Dan
You're over thinking a problem, pellets are pretty tough, drop a few on the cement and they don't shatter into pieces like an egg would.
PBV4PS2 I have, and I just dump the pellets in, I use Bear Mountain.

You lookin fer something like this?
20220904_093907.jpg

I took it out to cut and then folded edges over and hammered and dollied them flat. Only reason I put it back is I use the little trough to keep temp probes is.
I see mine didn't have the trough a good reason to keep it I may make one to screw in there great idea

Latest Discussions

Back