How install a REC TEC controller on a Pit Boss

I was under the impression that you cannot buy the Rec Tec controller separately (now), unless you are a registered Rec Tec grill customer.

Can someone confirm this?

I was under the impression that you cannot buy the Rec Tec controller separately (now), unless you are a registered Rec Tec grill customer.

Can someone confirm this?
it is true you cannot purchase a Rec-Tec controller.

Has anyone looked into seeing if there is an alternative. I’m not an electrician so, this could challenge my skills for sure.

any idea why rec tec decided to not sell controllers unless you can prove you own one of their grills?
i added a rec tec controlled to an old traegar and it works quite well

it is true you cannot purchase a Rec-Tec controller.

I wonder if a Rectec controller would be acurate on another grill, if the grill didn't use the same type and guage steel as rectec. Their controller calculates heat transfer, and heat loss properties based on the properties of the type and guage steel rectecs are made of. Rectecs are 100% stainless steel where it matters. Other grills are not. If the grill the controller is mounted on was not 7-10 gauge stainless steel like a rectec would the readings and the contol methods of those readings be as acurate on that grill as they are on a rectec? Or would you have to recalibrate the controller to represent the steel type and guage on the grill its being mounted on for it to be accurate?

I wonder if a Rectec controller would be acurate on another grill, if the grill didn't use the same type and guage steel as rectec. Their controller calculates heat transfer, and heat loss properties based on the properties of the type and guage steel rectecs are made of. Rectecs are 100% stainless steel where it matters. Other grills are not. If the grill the controller is mounted on was not 7-10 gauge stainless steel like a rectec would the readings and the contol methods of those readings be as acurate on that grill as they are on a rectec? Or would you have to recalibrate the controller to represent the steel type and guage on the grill its being mounted on for it to be accurate?
Perfectly accurate.....extremely......I installed my RecTeq controller on my Pitboss Vertical over a year ago and it is amazing...! The quality of the Pitboss with the accuracy of the RecTeq makes it the perfect duo....the best in the price range....period.

One of the things you can do with the RecTeq is adjust a probe bias.....so I put in four probes across the center rack and took an average of that temperature.....and then I use the bias offset to make the PitBoss temperature probe equal the temperature in the middle of the center rack. This makes that rack my known cook temperature. So you can see that my mechanical temperature gauge matches perfectly to the RecTeq controller on that rack.

I highly recommend replacing the PitBoss controller with any other PID Controller....especially the RecTeq one....if you have access to one.

1664295826851.png
1664295861087.png

1664295795013.png
1664295938289.png

I was wondering if anyone who has done this upgrade had any trouble with it? I put a RecTeq controller from eBay on my vertical Pitt Boss, and after about 4 smokes, I've started to have problems with it completely going dead until I unplug it and plug it back in. Perhaps an overheating issue on the board?

I was wondering if anyone who has done this upgrade had any trouble with it? I put a RecTeq controller from eBay on my vertical Pitt Boss, and after about 4 smokes, I've started to have problems with it completely going dead until I unplug it and plug it back in. Perhaps an overheating issue on the board?
I believe it was the reason it was on Ebay.....RecTeq doesn't make you turn them in for the warranty.....so they probably kept the bad one and put it on ebay.....just a guess.

I have had mine installed for 2 years, and have had no issues.....this is with a new spare that I got from RecTeq before I sold my portable RecTeq and got the Pit Boss Vertical.

IF it is going dead, then it is likely a supply power issue....I would check the voltage regulator....add a heat sink.....install a small fan blowing on it from the side inside the smoker.....etc.

I would also test it outside of the smoker....and see if it goes dead in the air conditioned house.....that would tell you where to look on the board for issues.

I believe it was the reason it was on Ebay.....RecTeq doesn't make you turn them in for the warranty.....so they probably kept the bad one and put it on ebay.....just a guess.

I have had mine installed for 2 years, and have had no issues.....this is with a new spare that I got from RecTeq before I sold my portable RecTeq and got the Pit Boss Vertical.

IF it is going dead, then it is likely a supply power issue....I would check the voltage regulator....add a heat sink.....install a small fan blowing on it from the side inside the smoker.....etc.

I would also test it outside of the smoker....and see if it goes dead in the air conditioned house.....that would tell you where to look on the board for issues.
Thanks for the tips. If it was a known bad up it for sale, then some people suck. Since the unit will error out without being connected to a grill, I assume you are suggesting extending The wires so I can run the grill outside with the controller inside?

I do intend to troubleshoot out of curiosity but I have also ordered a Camp Chef Gen 2 Retrofit controller since they are available brand new.

Thanks for the tips. If it was a known bad up it for sale, then some people suck. Since the unit will error out without being connected to a grill, I assume you are suggesting extending The wires so I can run the grill outside with the controller inside?

I do intend to troubleshoot out of curiosity but I have also ordered a Camp Chef Gen 2 Retrofit controller since they are available brand new.
If you can't figure it out and the Camp Chef works.....and you're going to throw the RecTeq away.....I'll pay you to ship it to me and I can try and fix it. I am an electronics engineer.

If you can't figure it out and the Camp Chef works.....and you're going to throw the RecTeq away.....I'll pay you to ship it to me and I can try and fix it. I am an electronics engineer.
Sure thing. I'm a chemical engineer who learned to code and can even breadboard Arduino circuits, but working on existing PCBs is beyond my skillset.

Just curious to see how this all ends. Would be fantastic if the RecTec controller ends up getting fixed and/or engineered to work!

Back