I am a 74 yr old retiree in Alexandria, Louisiana that got tired of grilling on an electric grill & smoker.

Welcome from Texas to the group !!!
Set it at 200 is what I do and pull it when internal temperature is 145 degrees
I rub mine down the night before and take it out of the fridge an hour before I put it on the grill.
Hopefully this helps you 🇺🇸🇺🇸
Thanks for the reply. I downloaded the instructions from Pit Boss so I thought that maybe my less expensive Pit Boss didn't have the same settings as the more expensive ones.

I did set it at 200 but the meat temp had reached 147. So, I took it off, wrapped it in foil and put back on at 300. I'll cook it at that temp for about 1 1/4 hr before the wife gets home from work. I cooked a pork shoulder like that one time & it was so tender & juicy that it was falling apart as I was unwrapping it.

You could try changing the P setting if you have that option. Move it up to 5, 6, or 7 and your temp should drop. Just make sure you don't get a flameout.

Edit: I should have said that you should be in "S" mode, which is smoke mode. The P setting changes the delay between auger turns in "S" mode, if that makes sense.

This all assumes that your model works similar to mine.

Sorry, one more thing.

First of all, I checked out the model you have. It is the same controller that I have, so my advice should work.

You can also check your actual grate temperature with an external thermometer (temp probe, oven thermometer, etc.) rather than trusting your controller readout. Many of us do, and then we adjust our set temperature accordingly.

You could try changing the P setting if you have that option. Move it up to 5, 6, or 7 and your temp should drop. Just make sure you don't get a flameout.

Edit: I should have said that you should be in "S" mode, which is smoke mode. The P setting changes the delay between auger turns in "S" mode, if that makes sense.

This all assumes that your model works similar to mine.
How does one go about changing the P setting? I just seem to remember that the first position (for lighting) is the P setting for smoking.

How does one go about changing the P setting? I just seem to remember that the first position (for lighting) is the P setting for smoking.
There should be a recessed button that you can push while on the S setting on the dial. The higher the number, I believe it goes 0-7, the longer the pause on the auger feed. So that should give you more smoke and a lower temp. Someone who uses it more often can probably explain it better. That’s my limited knowledge and understanding of it.

I am so sorry for steering you wrong. I looked at a picture of your controller and thought it had a P button. It was only the F/C temp button. My bad. You won't be able to adjust the delay.

Back