Initial Starting - open or closed searing vent?

Closed and wrapped in foil.
Are you foiling your heat diffuser/drip tray? PLEASE , Be really careful with that. It is not recommended per all the PITBOSS manuals for some very good reasons. Foil (especially the HD we all LOVE to use) traps the heat under the diffuser and throws off the digital temperature probe temperature readings. Additionally, at higher temperatures it causes the paint underneath to blister and bubble.

Additionally, unless you get it placed properly along the grease channels, it will cause the grease to back up in the channels and spill over and collect under the drip tray and create grease fires. We’ve seen many of them. And although a grease fire will start at 350° and as it burns, the increasing heat will melt the aluminum foil.

People with other model smokers will and can do it because they have flat drip trays and no sear option.

Your foil will catch the drips and drizzles from your smoking BUT it will NOT protect your steel because the foil will condense and trap the humidity and the moisture in the air and that WILL cause your diffuser to rust faster. Again, unless your grease channels are clear you’re risking the probability of some nasty grease fires.

Next burnoff, try seasoning the steel....clean ups are a plastic putty knife and a shop

From the manual: IMPORTANT: Due to high heat, do not cover the flame broiler or probes with aluminum foil.

Attachments

• IMG_1427.jpeg
    IMG_1427.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 14
Wrapped in foil?
Are you thinking about foiling your heat diffuser/drip tray? PLEASE , Be really careful with that. It is not recommended per all the PITBOSS manuals for some very good reasons. Foil (especially the HD we all LOVE to use) traps the heat under the diffuser and throws off the digital temperature probe temperature readings. Additionally, at higher temperatures it causes the paint underneath to blister and bubble.

Additionally, unless you get it placed properly along the grease channels, it will cause the grease to back up in the channels and spill over and collect under the drip tray and create grease fires. We’ve seen many of them. And although a grease fire will start at 350° and as it burns, the increasing heat will melt the aluminum foil.

People with other model smokers will and can do it because they have flat drip trays and no sear option.

Your foil will catch the drips and drizzles from your smoking BUT it will NOT protect your steel because the foil will condense and trap the humidity and the moisture in the air and that WILL cause your diffuser to rust faster. Again, unless your grease channels are clear you’re risking the probability of some nasty grease fires.

Next burnoff, try seasoning the steel....clean ups are a plastic putty knife and a shop

From the manual: IMPORTANT: Due to high heat, do not cover the flame broiler or probes with aluminum foil.

Attachments

• IMG_1427.jpeg
    IMG_1427.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 9
@Freedbyjc I'm well aware of the PB warnings. I've had no problems from covering mine. Takes a little patience to get it folded so grease flow but it works for me. I would prefer a solid smooth plate but that's not available that I know of.
👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼 As long as you’re aware…. Smoke On.

I mostly use the middle rack on the 1600 so I put a foil pan with shallow water under the food on the lower rack (main Rack)
makes clean up a breeze !!
Same with my 1250 Platinum. Works great. Just have to clean the middle grate before each cook. Also, the foil pan with a little water in it, mellows out the hot spot in the middle right over the fire pot.

Back