Lexington 540 too hot?

bspratt22

Reaction score
New to forum. Have only cooked 2 or 3 pork butts low and slow but not slow enough! Start out on smoke for about an hour put 10 lb butt on at 10PM set at 200 (this is lowest setting) go to bed get up 6:30 and check the temp of the butt is already 205! 8 1/2 hrs later! Its supposed to "stall" at 155 or 160 then you increase grill temp to 225 for the last 2 or 3 hrs to bring up to 190 - that should be the final ready temp. Now the only thing I can think of is putting the butt on one side of the grill for a more indirect heat? Any other ideas at all to cool the temp? Thanks - Bill

IMG_9485.jpg

welcome from Texas to the group!!
That’s the reason I start mine early in the morning.
I set my temp at 225 degrees with either a can of water or apple juice on the grates.
When internal temperature reaches 165 degrees I wrap it in peach butcher paper. When internal temperature is between 200-205 I pull it and let it rest in a ice chest for an hour then pull it out , shred it then serve
Hopefully this helps you 🇺🇸🇺🇸

Thank you - this sounds like a great workaround! Actually posted this before shredding mine this morning which turned out much better than expected (about a 9) I did let it sit for about an hour or so with a piece of foil on top. Previous cooks did not allow me to shred but had to slice it. We are making progress! I am guessing you have a probe that notifies or alarms when your temp is reached? Is there a specific one you like?

Thank you - this sounds like a great workaround! Actually posted this before shredding mine this morning which turned out much better than expected (about a 9) I did let it sit for about an hour or so with a piece of foil on top. Previous cooks did not allow me to shred but had to slice it. We are making progress! I am guessing you have a probe that notifies or alarms when your temp is reached? Is there a specific one you like?
This is what I use

Alpha Grillers Instant Read Meat Thermometer for Grill and Cooking. Best Waterproof Ultra Fast Thermometer with Backlight & Calibration. Digital Food Probe for Kitchen, Outdoor Grilling and BBQ! https://a.co/d/1S0VV56

Latest Discussions

Back