Lexington Onyx Issue

jhugz

Media
Reaction score
Brand new to smoking and just did my first cook yesterday and did 3-2-1 ribs. By the end of the cook I was looking for an internal of 200 but only had 170. I know most people wouldn't meater ribs but I did it mostly just to check my temps on the new smoker. They consistently showed an ambient of about 30 degrees lower then what the control was saying. I know the meater probe has issues with its ambient temperature display showing cold but the internal being so low at the end of the cook made me believe it.

Any thoughts or advice for a newbie before my next cook?

Brand new to smoking and just did my first cook yesterday and did 3-2-1 ribs. By the end of the cook I was looking for an internal of 200 but only had 170. I know most people wouldn't meater ribs but I did it mostly just to check my temps on the new smoker. They consistently showed an ambient of about 30 degrees lower then what the control was saying. I know the meater probe has issues with its ambient temperature display showing cold but the internal being so low at the end of the cook made me believe it.

Any thoughts or advice for a newbie before my next cook?
Welcome from Texas to the group!
I own a INKBIRD and it’s always been dead on.
What temperature did you have the grill set at?
What’s the outside temperature there. ?
You may have to put a insulated blanket over it.
I go low and slow at 225 degrees and pull them around 206 degrees internal temperature
Did you wrap them during the two hour period? That’s very important and it also helps hold the temperature and moisture
Hopefully this helps you 🇺🇸🇺🇸

Welcome from Texas to the group!
I own a INKBIRD and it’s always been dead on.
What temperature did you have the grill set at?
What’s the outside temperature there. ?
You may have to put a insulated blanket over it.
I go low and slow at 225 degrees and pull them around 206 degrees internal temperature
Did you wrap them during the two hour period? That’s very important and it also helps hold the temperature and moisture
Hopefully this helps you 🇺🇸🇺🇸

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Temp yesterday was around the mid to high 40's to low 50's throughout most of the cook. I had the grill at 180 for the first three hours (ambient was showing about 150) and then 225 for the 2 & 1. Yes I did wrap them during the two hours. Grill was showing about 190-195 ambient on the meater during the 225 parts of the cook. At the end of the cook I was only at 170 internal instead of my target of about 200. I ended up salvaging them, but just trying to learn.

Thanks!

Should also mention that my target (according to the recipe) after the three hour part of the cook at 180 should of been 165 but it was only 145.

i agree. i use either 225 or 250 on just about everything except steak. i let the steaks get smoke on 180 until internal gets to about 120 then crank it up to 350 for a good sear. comes out great!:)

Back