Meat Probe Calibration

Tango 7

Reaction score
Just had the most infuriating phone call with customer support.
Long story short, is there a way to calibrate the meat probe so that it reflects the actual temperature? The probe reads 30 to 40 degrees higher than the actual temperature taken by three separate external thermometers.

The customer support representative couldn’t understand the problem and kept reading the owners manual to me.

I have a 850 pro series 2. If I would have know how customer service treats people I would have never spent a dime with this company.

Are you talking about the ambient temp or the meat temperature? I know you said meat, but I wanted to double check.

Does your grill have two ports for meat probes? Are both wrong? Is there a kink in the wire?

The short answer is that you can't calibrate the meat probe, but I'm assuming there is a different solution.

Just had the most infuriating phone call with customer support.
Long story short, is there a way to calibrate the meat probe so that it reflects the actual temperature? The probe reads 30 to 40 degrees higher than the actual temperature taken by three separate external thermometers.

The customer support representative couldn’t understand the problem and kept reading the owners manual to me.

I have a 850 pro series 2. If I would have know how customer service treats people I would have never spent a dime with this company.
May vary from model to model but my built in temp probes is usually off for whatever reasons. I rely on oven thermometers and from what I read here many others go with supplemental devices similarly.

bought a two pack of meat probes and they both read the same, about 4 degrees different than my stand alone thermometers. I am happy with that.

To clarify, the support person kept explaining how to use the meat probe, how to insert it into the meat, how to set the cook temp. He read me page 17 of the owners manual because in his words maybe I will understand it better if hear it from someone else. He couldn’t understand the question. He ended up hanging up on me.

bought a two pack of meat probes and they both read the same, about 4 degrees different than my stand alone thermometers. I am happy with that.

To clarify, the support person kept explaining how to use the meat probe, how to insert it into the meat, how to set the cook temp. He read me page 17 of the owners manual because in his words maybe I will understand it better if hear it from someone else. He couldn’t understand the question. He ended up hanging up on me.
Once again everyone has a bad day
If your unhappy with pitboss support just don’t contact them anymore
There’s more than enough knowledge on this page. Me myself?
I’ve only owned my 820 for 3 years but I’ve been smokin meat and makin my own sauce for over fifty years
In today’s society?
There’s a ton of people that just want a check without putting forth the effort to familiarize themselves with the product
🇺🇸🇺🇸

Absolutely normal for all pellet smokers … Unless your oven thermometers or meat probes, the latter specifically not meant for measuring air temperatures, were positioned EXACTLY like this (see photo) touching the digital temperature probe, your personal temperature reading comparisons are totally invalid for comparison to the “Actual” temperature shown on the controller. Your grate temperatures are never going to match the actual temperature shown on the controller.

The PitBoss controllers algorithms are set to create a temperature environment throughout the barrel ... not that exact temperature readings at every point across the grates.

If you’re interested in the grate temperatures, you’ll have to get a secondary probe specifically designed to measure that. Usually they have squared off or blunted tips and always come with grate clips.

The digital temperature showing on the controller is the temperature probe mounted on the left side of the barrel at that specific position ... it’s not “the grill” or “grate” temperatures. Your grate and lid probes are going to be different and probably higher or lower due to their placement in the barrel.

Watch your digital, as it controls the controller, and keep an eye on your grate temperature but the IT on your meat probe is the one that’s the most important.

The “probe problem” is that folks don’t know enough about their PitBoss smokers design to know that the digital temperature shown on the controller and the grate temperatures are almost never going to match.

Remember, your PitBoss has a controller with an awesome algorithm that runs the smoker. After you’ve used it a few times you’ll realize that it works and works well. Relax... put your temperature probes in the food where they belong and let that awesome smoker you bought do the work for you. Smoke On!
Absolutely normal for all pellet smokers … Unless your oven thermometers or meat probes, the latter specifically not meant for measuring air temperatures, were positioned EXACTLY like this (see photo) touching the digital temperature probe, your personal temperature reading comparisons are totally invalid for comparison to the “Actual” temperature shown on the controller. Your grate temperatures are never going to match the actual temperature shown on the controller.

The PitBoss controllers algorithms are set to create a temperature environment throughout the barrel ... not that exact temperature readings at every point across the grates.

If you’re interested in the grate temperatures, you’ll have to get a secondary probe specifically designed to measure that. Usually they have squared off or blunted tips and always come with grate clips.

The digital temperature showing on the controller is the temperature probe mounted on the left side of the barrel at that specific position ... it’s not “the grill” or “grate” temperatures. Your grate and lid probes are going to be different and probably higher or lower due to their placement in the barrel.

Watch your digital, as it controls the controller, and keep an eye on your grate temperature but the IT on your meat probe is the one that’s the most important.

The “probe problem” is that folks don’t know enough about their PitBoss smokers design to know that the digital temperature shown on the controller and the grate temperatures are almost never going to match.

Remember, your PitBoss has a controller with an awesome algorithm that runs the smoker. After you’ve used it a few times you’ll realize that it works and works well. Relax... put your temperature probes in the food where they belong and let that awesome smoker you bought do the work for you. Smoke On!
It is absolutely not normal.
When the meat probe is inserted into you meat you should expect the the temperature that is being displayed would be close to the actual temp of the meat it is inserted to. Not consistently reading 40 degrees hotter than the actual temp. If I wanted to use the probe to cook a brisket to 180 degrees and I trusted what is being displayed from the probe the internal temp would actually be around 140 degrees. I would have to cook until it reads 220 for the real temperature be 180.

I’m not talking about air temp, grate temp, barrel temp or the temperature of the Sun. I’m talking about the meat probe reading when it is inserted into the meat.

Not my first pellet grill, on my old pit boss there was a way to get into a menu and calibrate it to read correctly.

I bought a two pack of new probes and they are writhing 4 degrees of actual temp so problem solved.

Last edited:

Signed up on this forum for this specific issue. Just bought an 850. Both meat probes are off by about 15-20 degrees hotter. What brand of replacement probes did you buy?

Signed up on this forum for this specific issue. Just bought an 850. Both meat probes are off by about 15-20 degrees hotter. What brand of replacement probes did you buy?
Welcome from Texas to the group!
I use the ones that came with my 820 but recently purchased this
Hopefully this helps you 🇺🇸🇺🇸
IMG_8176.jpeg

I bought the PitBoss ones from Lowe’s. Tested them in ice water and boiling water. They work good.

Back