Modifications I've made to my PB1100PSC2

EdCaffreyMS

Media
Reaction score
Recently my trusty, well loved Charbroil propane grill, with the original "Tru-Infared" pan system finally fell apart, so after investigating, and actually buying the current version of the grill, and finding out their "new and improved" simply doesn't work as advertised. I returned that grill, and purchased a Pit Boss PB1100PSC2 Smoker/grill combo.
I've never been one to accept anything as it comes out of the box, and if I can make modifications/improvements for me and my situation.... I typically will. The Pit Boss was no exception.
The items on my list were...
1. Preventing flare ups on the propane grill side.
2. Retaining heat in my cold climate (Montana)
3. Evenness of heating during smoking or cooking
4. Overall usefulness for me

That being said...here are the Modifications I have done....

First, I removed the "stack cap" on the grill side, cut of the factory threaded rod/bolt, and welded in a new one that would allow adjustment from all the way open, to completely closed for heat retention.

Stack-Mod1.jpg

stack-Mod2.jpg

Next.... I cut a piece of sheet metal to cover the vent holes in the upper rear of the smoker portion...... I used rare earth magnets to hold the sheet metal in place.

Smoker-Vent-Mod.jpg

As it comes from the factory, the smoker portion has a significant hot spot, directly above the firepot. I chose to solve this issue by fabricating a "flame diverter" from some scrap stainless steel sheet I had in the shop...... It completely cured the hot spot.

Flame-Diverter0.jpg

The following pic shows the "flame diverter" slide back so you can see the relationship of it to the firepot....when in use, it sits directly centered over the firepot.

Flame-Diverter1.jpg

Flame-Diverter2.jpg

What I consider the best, and most important/needed modification, was to steal the idea that charbroil origonally used on their "Tru-Infared" grills. In fact, the the pan is the following pics is from my old grill.... I just had to cut it down, and fab it to shape to fit the Pit Boss. Even if a person were to purchase the part new, and then fab it to fit, I think its well worth it. (Heres is a link to were you can buy one new: https://www.grillparts.com/charbroil/gourmet_series/partslist.asp?product_id=G517-6600-W1)
I would love to see Pit Boss offer these either as standard equipment, or even an aftermarket part. It really does make that much difference in the propane grill side.

Grill-Pan1.jpg

Grill-Pan4.jpg

Grill-Pan5.jpg

Grill-Pan6.jpg

And finally, a simple mod to help protect the electronics.... The grill covers were back ordered when I purchased the grill, and I've just not gotten around to finding/ordering one online yet. Even if you live is a mild climate, sunlight can have very adverse affects on the panel.... Keeping it covered will just help it last longer.

Electronicsprotection2.jpg

Electronicsprotection1.jpg

If I had to actually complain about something with this smoker/grill..... it's the fact that in order to clean it out, I have to drag the shop vac out, take the smoker side apart, and clean everything with the shop vac. Even if there were a built in dump gate for the firepot, from the factory, that would be 100% of an improvement. Otherwise, with the modifications, I like everything about this combo. Hopefully this post can help others, and if you have questions, feel free to ask!

Last edited:
One thing you can do for temperature increments below 300 degrees, if you find that an issue on the PB1100PSC2, is to swap in a controller from a Pit Boss 1150 with 10 degree increments. I did that with my PB1100PSC2, and it works awesome! I didn't like not having control over the increments for lower temps. Pit Boss said it won't work. Well, I can confidently say IT WILL WORK! I now have 10 degree increments on my PB1100PSC2, and also have 4 probe ports instead of 2 that the PB1100PSC2 comes with. If you use the Pit Boss app, you need to delete your grill and re-add it as a Pit Boss 1150 to take advantage of the 4 probe ports in the app. Works like a charm!

Attachments

• CC9CD472-2AEE-4060-AED8-66247342D72B.jpeg
    CC9CD472-2AEE-4060-AED8-66247342D72B.jpeg
    301.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 3130E281-ABC6-4713-864A-953E8029DEF7.png
    3130E281-ABC6-4713-864A-953E8029DEF7.png
    72.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 0806A329-6D67-48EA-8F86-D649782B0541.jpeg
    0806A329-6D67-48EA-8F86-D649782B0541.jpeg
    289.8 KB · Views: 35
Thats great to know! THANKS! I suspect the reason Pit Boss says "it won't work" has to do with people being stupid.... screwing something up, and then trying to claim if via warranty or some other nonsense. I've had it happen several times over the years with my custom knives.... folks didn't take care of the knives.... and rather then pay a small fee for me to refurbish/clean them, they tried to destroy the knives.... and tried to get a new on via the warranty. :rolleyes: There's not much to wiring these type of controllers. I've been using similar controllers in my Blacksmith shop for years, and the wiring is very easy to figure out.

I tried my first "cold smoke" on some cheddar and jack cheeses last week. We had a few days of single digit temps, and I used only a smoke tube. Chamber never got past 40F! Had smoke rolling for about 2 1/2 hours on the cheeses. They are vac sealed and mellowing in the fridge. Should be ready just in time for Christmas. I think I'll make gifts of the cheeses and see how it's received! :giggle:
;);)

Back