More smoke from 1600CS?

locuteus

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1600CS, and overall I'm very happy with it. I grilled a few steaks on it with some hickory pellets and was very happy with the results. However, yesterday I decided to give it a try with smoking and smoked an 8lb. brisket. This is my first electric pellet grill/smoker. My original was an old-school offset smoker that I've had for at least 15 years. Although the meat was tender and the flavor was good, there didn't seem to be much smoke infusion and little to no bark. I used my go-to method of 1 hour per pound at 225 degrees and covered in foil during the last half of cooking. I've had great results with this method on my old offset smoker. I hate that there's no way to control the amount of smoke that stays in the barrel. My old smoker had a stack cover and I could adjust the amount of smoke with that. But this grill/smoker simply has slotted, open vents on the back of the lid. Is there any way to increase the amount of smoke in the barrel and still monitor and maintain temps on this model? Did I purchase the wrong smoker? I tend to smoke way more than I grill. Sorry for the amateur question.

I recently purchased a 1600CS, and overall I'm very happy with it. I grilled a few steaks on it with some hickory pellets and was very happy with the results. However, yesterday I decided to give it a try with smoking and smoked an 8lb. brisket. This is my first electric pellet grill/smoker. My original was an old-school offset smoker that I've had for at least 15 years. Although the meat was tender and the flavor was good, there didn't seem to be much smoke infusion and little to no bark. I used my go-to method of 1 hour per pound at 225 degrees and covered in foil during the last half of cooking. I've had great results with this method on my old offset smoker. I hate that there's no way to control the amount of smoke that stays in the barrel. My old smoker had a stack cover and I could adjust the amount of smoke with that. But this grill/smoker simply has slotted, open vents on the back of the lid. Is there any way to increase the amount of smoke in the barrel and still monitor and maintain temps on this model? Did I purchase the wrong smoker? I tend to smoke way more than I grill. Sorry for the amateur question.
Not an amateur question at all.
I like more smoke myself 🇺🇸🇺🇸

While this is certainly a valid option, I was hoping that there might be another way to utilize the function/features of the grill itself to accomplish the same goal.
You can run it in Smoke mode longer. It just increases cook time. For small stuff chicken, ribs, appetizers I go 1-2 hours. Thicker stuff butts, roast, brisket I go 2-8 hours.

Back