New Controller no WiFi/bluetooth

Pop Pop BBQ

Reaction score
I had to get a new controller from Pit Boss. Got it no problem and installed. Works and all, but cannot connect to WiFi/bluetooth now. Updated app and smoker, plugged and unplugged, nothing with internet at home has changed. All other devices working.

I had to get a new controller from Pit Boss. Got it no problem and installed. Works and all, but cannot connect to WiFi/bluetooth now. Updated app and smoker, plugged and unplugged, nothing with internet at home has changed. All other devices working.
Welcome from Texas to the group!
Check your connections
You may have to uninstall the app and reinstall it
Hopefully this helps you 🇺🇸🇨🇱

Which board is it? Not all replacement boards offer connectivity. You may need to purchase the upgrade board for your model that has the connectivity feature.

Is this true? Their "replacement" controller boards are without any connectivity? An excellent way to drive replacement business elsewhere!
Yes you need to look at the specs closely - also need to watch for knock of boards that are "compatible" with your model. Some of these will have connectivity but may not connect with the PB ap. -- Kind of like buyer beware -- I'd order direct from PB and see if they have the correct upgrade.

I see the Wi-Fi logo on my control but doesn't seem like I can connect to Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. My unit does not mention connectivity. It's a pro 4 onyx edition vertical.
Hmm - strange... What's the model: PBV4NX? According to the PB website it's not a BT/WiFi model. The PBV4PS2 is.

I wonder how easily I could just replace them control on my unit with the Wi-Fi enabled control

I have a PBV4NX
Technically the PBV4PS2 looks to be the same physical unit give or take - the PBV4NX Onyx edition is an exclusive WalMart retail version, so they had to hit their requirements and price point for them and the Pro Series PBV4PS2 is exclusively for Lowes at their price point. I'd call PB tech support, but me as an embedded systems electronics control systems engineer would give it a serious look. They all have an igniter and burner pot, internal temp probe, fan, and auger feed system. Working also for various OEMs over the years, you tend to keep parts SKUs low and HW and SW components common where possible to do this. The only thing that they may change to prevent parts swapping and "potential" premium feature upgrades is the connectors on the board and/or components. In any case it's worth looking into -- start by looking at the PBV4PS2 assembly instructions compared to yours (PBV4NX with regard to the wiring diagram. I looked at the 2 of them and they appear to have the same connections, the only thing that is not given is the physical board size.

Last edited:
Technically the PBV4PS2 looks to be the same physical unit give or take - the PBV4NX Onyx edition is an exclusive WalMart retail version, so they had to hit their requirements and price point for them and the Pro Series PBV4PS2 is exclusively for Lowes at their price point. I'd call PB tech support, but me as an embedded systems electronics control systems engineer would give it a serious look. They all have an igniter and burner pot, internal temp probe, fan, and auger feed system. Working also for various OEMs over the years, you tend to keep parts SKUs low and HW and SW components common where possible to do this. The only thing that they may change to prevent parts swapping and "potential" premium feature upgrades is the connectors on the board and/or components. In any case it's worth looking into -- start by looking at the PBV4PS2 assembly instructions compared to yours (PBV4NX with regard to the wiring diagram. I looked at the 2 of them and they appear to have the same connections, the only thing that is not given is the physical board size.
Wow thanks for the reply Great information! I'm certainly going to look into this. Do you see a benefit in the wifi Bluetooth connectivity?

Yes you need to look at the specs closely - also need to watch for knock of boards that are "compatible" with your model. Some of these will have connectivity but may not connect with the PB ap. -- Kind of like buyer beware -- I'd order direct from PB and see if they have the correct upgrade.
This was directly from pit boss

This was directly from pit boss
@Pop Pop BBQ: OK - it is possible the new board has updated WiFi protocol and encryption standards. Check the WiFi settings in your router as you may need to change something on your end to use more updated connection options. What is PB customer support telling you? Just curious.

Last edited:
Back