New member here, a couple questions

rdetexas

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am a new member here, hoping to get a couple of questions answered. I am new to smokers, and looking into either the 1150 Pro Series V3, or the 850 Pro Series V2. I can not seem to find many differences between the 2, except for the size, the easy-to-remove burn pot on the 1150, and the "new" VST controller on the 1150.

I know the 850 does not have the removable burn pot, which I'm ok with.

I do not know how I feel about the 1150 V3 and the new touchscreen controller, since my hands will have gloves on, or bbq sauce on them from time to time!

I'm assuming that all of the issues with the controller on 850 V2 have been fixed, including the temp. swings.

So my main question is, is there a major difference between the 1150 V3 and the 850 V2 to justify the extra cost, other than the obvious size? The new controller on the 1150 scares me, with it being new and all, as it seems like they just got the 850 V2 figured out and it now seems pretty solid.

Can anyone verify the number of probes that the 850 V2 can accept? I've seen pictures on Pit Boss's website that shows 4 probes in the controller, but no one has verified.

Also, are the 850 V2 AND the 1150 V3 capable of a "smoke setting"? Or is one of them not capable of the "smoke" setting? By the way, what is the "smoke" setting, and how does it work?!?! Thank you all in advance for any advice you can offer.

Do you have issues with uneven temperatures, especially right above the burn pot?
Directly above the burn pot sure. I use it to my advantage. On the lower grate I cook to the left or right and if one piece is lagging behind I move it closer to center. The upper grate seems even and adds more smoke flavor to me. So that where I stack my appetizers

Directly above the burn pot sure. I use it to my advantage. On the lower grate I cook to the left or right and if one piece is lagging behind I move it closer to center. The upper grate seems even and adds more smoke flavor to me. So that where I stack my appetizers
have you ever done a long smoke (brisket, ribs) on the middle of the top grate where the temperature seems more even?

have you ever done a long smoke (brisket, ribs) on the middle of the top grate where the temperature seems more even?
Absolutely. Done a brisket over 22 hours a while back.
20230416_134851.jpg

Attachments

• 20230416_134841.jpg
    20230416_134841.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 9
If toning down the hot spot over the firepot or getting even temperatures across the grates is what’s really important then you’ll probably want to look at the NEW firepot heat diffusers from Smokeslikeaboss that folks are using to even out the temperatures across the grates ... the posts of those who’ve done it (page search) say it really helps stabilizes the heat across the grates. Additionally, you’ll lose your sear function unless you switch it back or use something to reach through the slots and knock it off.

Hello everyone, I am a new member here, hoping to get a couple of questions answered. I am new to smokers, and looking into either the 1150 Pro Series V3, or the 850 Pro Series V2. I can not seem to find many differences between the 2, except for the size, the easy-to-remove burn pot on the 1150, and the "new" VST controller on the 1150.

I know the 850 does not have the removable burn pot, which I'm ok with.

I do not know how I feel about the 1150 V3 and the new touchscreen controller, since my hands will have gloves on, or bbq sauce on them from time to time!

I'm assuming that all of the issues with the controller on 850 V2 have been fixed, including the temp. swings.

So my main question is, is there a major difference between the 1150 V3 and the 850 V2 to justify the extra cost, other than the obvious size? The new controller on the 1150 scares me, with it being new and all, as it seems like they just got the 850 V2 figured out and it now seems pretty solid.

Can anyone verify the number of probes that the 850 V2 can accept? I've seen pictures on Pit Boss's website that shows 4 probes in the controller, but no one has verified.

Also, are the 850 V2 AND the 1150 V3 capable of a "smoke setting"? Or is one of them not capable of the "smoke" setting? By the way, what is the "smoke" setting, and how does it work?!?! Thank you all in advance for any advice you can offer.
The V3 has vastly improved mechanicals especially the controller.
Both has a PID controller and the smoke setting (S) on the controller is automatically controlled to 180°.

Getting awesome smoke flavor in your food is not how much smoke the meat sits in, or what brand of pellet is burning but in how long your meat sits in the Smoke.

Why buy a smoke tube? If you turn the dial down, You can enjoy the real smoke flavor. Turn your dial down... Lower temperature =Longer time to cook= longer exposure to

Smoke and more time to absorb that smoke= More Smoke flavor.

You get just as much smoke production at 200-250° as you do on the Smoke setting. But the difference is that at the lower temperature setting (Smoke) the meat sits in the smoke longer to reach the desired IT and absorbs more smoke flavor.

—————

On the Smoke dial setting you want a temp around 170-180°, +/- 10 degrees. Smoke your food for 60-75% of your cook then, if necessary to achieve your desired finish IT, turn up the temp to 225/250° to finish.

When I’m smoking on the smoke dial setting (170-180°) and the meats Internal Temperature (IT) reaches or gets close to the dial setting temperature as what’s on the smoker’s controller, I’ll turn the dial to 250° so the meats IT continues to rise.

The meats IT is the only temperature I monitor.

Back