New Pellet Grill User, Issues with "Actual" Temp Display reading low

LifeByTheMile

Reaction score
Just got my new Pit Boss 456 set up and did the "burn in" yesterday. Once that was done I immediately went to do my first smoke/cool, meatloaf at 350F. However after 2hrs the meat was still soft yet the temp display consistently hovered around 320-370F, there was smoke coming out as more pellets were fed into the fire pot, and I could see flames/embers if I moved the sear plate, so I know it was working.

I tossed my Meater into the meatloaf and added an oven thermometer to the grill.

The Meater never showed an ambient temp above 280F even when set to 450F and the "Actual" temp displaying 450ish consistently for another 2hrs. The oven thermometer never went above 325F over the same two hours.

Running some tests this morning with the oven thermometer, set to 225F with the "actual" temp within that range the oven thermometer read 200F exactly on both the far right and far left ends of the grill. Within an acceptable margin of error I can adjust to, set to 250 and get 225. I can work with that.

However, I cranked it up to 475 (grilling steaks and whatnot), and on the left side of the grill sitting right under the temp probe it was reading 350F meanwhile the "Actual" temp was reading 480F. Moved the oven thermometer to the right side of the grill and it was reading 340F while the "Actual" temp was showing 485F.

I noticed the temp probe for the display is well above the grill on the left side of the barrel so I would expect it to be a touch cooler than the grill temp, but at the higher temps it's reading 140F above the real temp.

Is there any way I can get the grill up to proper grilling temps?

Seems like you are getting a blast of hot air hitting your temp probe when at higher temperatures. I'm not familiar with your grill. Is the shelf that your drip sits on next to the temp probe round or flat on the top? If it is flat, you can try to stuff some aluminum foil in the air gap (between the bottom of the rounded drip pan and the flat stop of the ledge) to see if that fixes it. If it is round, then I'm not sure what to tell you.

Back