New Pit Boss 440D2

jkoelsch30

Reaction score
Hi everyone-new member here. I got a Pit Boss 440D2 for a gift on my wedding registry. I’ve made a few things so far on it—some pork belly, burgers, and a brisket that was fair.

I’m having a lot of challenges with the temperature. When I set the fire box to a specific temperature, the probe on the grill hood (which matches my meat thermometer) is sometimes 100 degrees off or more. I can’t get the grill to go above 300-350 degrees, even when it’s set to high.

I use pit boss brand pellets and have loaded and reloaded them before/after each use.

Any ideas? In lieu of a smoke stack like in some models, it has 3 open holes in the back. Am wondering if these let out too much heat?

Hi everyone-new member here. I got a Pit Boss 440D2 for a gift on my wedding registry. I’ve made a few things so far on it—some pork belly, burgers, and a brisket that was fair.

I’m having a lot of challenges with the temperature. When I set the fire box to a specific temperature, the probe on the grill hood (which matches my meat thermometer) is sometimes 100 degrees off or more. I can’t get the grill to go above 300-350 degrees, even when it’s set to high.

I use pit boss brand pellets and have loaded and reloaded them before/after each use.

Any ideas? In lieu of a smoke stack like in some models, it has 3 open holes in the back. Am wondering if these let out too much heat?
Welcome from Texas to the group!
I never go off of a lid thermometer. They can fail real easy. I use a handheld meat thermometer
Always go off probe temperature and on the screen
A dirty temperature sensor can cause erratic temperature
Hopefully this helps you 🇺🇸🇺🇸

Welcome from Texas to the group!
I never go off of a lid thermometer. They can fail real easy. I use a handheld meat thermometer
Always go off probe temperature and on the screen
A dirty temperature sensor can cause erratic temperature
Hopefully this helps you 🇺🇸🇺🇸
Thanks! I’m also using a Meater thermometer which tells meat temp and pit ambient temp. I was able to compare the Meater temp to the lid probe, and to the fire box. Meater and lid probe are “correct”. It’s the fire box that is off-it’s saying it’s much hotter than what the grill’s actual surface temp is.

Thanks! I’m also using a Meater thermometer which tells meat temp and pit ambient temp. I was able to compare the Meater temp to the lid probe, and to the fire box. Meater and lid probe are “correct”. It’s the fire box that is off-it’s saying it’s much hotter than what the grill’s actual surface temp is.
You’re Sayin the the temp on the controller is off?

You’re Sayin the the temp on the controller is off?
Yeah, I think so. I’ll set the knob to 300 degrees, will give it some time, and both the lid temp and my Meater meat probe will be pretty close to each other and will say ambient temp is about 200. I’ve never gotten the grill’s ambient temp above 350. Called PB support and they said their thermometer is right and mine is wrong! 🤣

One thing to keep in mind is that the Meater ambient temp will almost always be lower than the grate temp (it's due to the temp bubble around the meat). Also, the lid temp probe is not a precision instrument.

What I'm trying to say is that there is a good chance that both of your probes may match, but they may not necessarily be correct. That being said, they should be closer than 100 degrees to the actual ambient temp. Do you have another accurate way to measure grate temp?

Wish I could help more.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Meater ambient temp will almost always be lower than the grate temp (it's due to the temp bubble around the meat). Also, the lid temp probe is not a precision instrument.

What I'm trying to say is that there is a good chance that both of your probes may match, but they may not necessarily be correct. That being said, they should be closer than 100 degrees to the actual ambient temp. Do you have another accurate way to measure grate temp?

Wish I could help more.
Good idea. PB support recommended I go get some cheap pit thermometers to try to measure a few different points on the cooking surface. Good point about the ambient temp and the meat temp bubble—didn’t think about that.

Back