New to pellet smoking

CA_preacher

Reaction score
Hi all, I just purchased my first pellet smoker, switching over from my Masterbuilt. I smoked a brisket overnight but when I woke up, the temp dropped from 225 (set point) to 85. The meat temp fortunately hit the stall at 165 internal, but not sure why the temp went so low. When I opened the cover, the ERL error started blinking. I restarted it and it seems to be working, but not sure what happened. I've been seeing how it can fluctuate 25 degrees, but not this much. Is there really this much of a learning curve?

I had that happen to me once. Restarted like you and it was fine. It’s never happened since. I attributed it to something in the programming and it just needed a reboot. Not sure what, but, luckily I haven’t had to question it again.

My belief is that sometime overnight you had a flameout. This could be due to pellets not flowing properly down the chute. I’ve come close to having this happen as well but I keep a long stick close by for my vertical smoker and occasionally help feed the pellets. Sometimes a gap will form and pellets will not feed properly. I assume this may have happened to you. For this reason I never leave my pellet smokers unattended for more than a couple of hours. I’m an early riser anyway so sometimes I will just wake up at 3am and hang out with my smoker most of the time just to keep an eye on things. The code that appeared on your screen was a low temp code meaning it got far below set temp and probably flamed out or burned out.

welcome from the mitten state
I thought I lived in the mitten state. Lol
Screenshot_20231020-060319.png

Welcome from WI.

Back