Newbie - got PitBoss for Memorial Day - so far so good

Lynnettemck

Reaction score
Completely new to pellet smoking. Up to now, all smoking has been in Pit Barrell smoker, which I love. Moved to pellet for convenience. Making pork butt for sliders now. Do have a QQ, my temperature dial does not register in 5 degree increments, only 10. So several recipes from PB call for 225 degrees, I can only select 220 or 230. Does it matter, or which way should I go?

Thanks for the responses. I’ll add a thermometer to check grate area. Looking forward to learning how to do this.
When checking the temp use a thermometer with a graphing mode in the app or fill a drink can with oil and temp the oil. Baking pastry or cakes require spot on temps, not so much with smoking large protein chunks.

Completely new to pellet smoking. Up to now, all smoking has been in Pit Barrell smoker, which I love. Moved to pellet for convenience. Making pork butt for sliders now. Do have a QQ, my temperature dial does not register in 5 degree increments, only 10. So several recipes from PB call for 225 degrees, I can only select 220 or 230. Does it matter, or which way should I go?
Welcome to the forum @Lynnettemck

220 for more smoke flavor, 230 for less smoke flavor. Honestly, you probably can go wrong either way.

Back