Not a good smoker..

Rondb1

Reaction score
the best smpke is 180 - 200. I put grill on 180 and wh3n it got to temp I put ribs on I know there is temp rise and fall but to drop to 130 is bad, it would take 10 minuters to get to temp again.Called pitboss and tyhe fun started they said it could drop 20 degrees .. I said 50 degrees and she started sayind the board was bad then she said to time the auger and it would show a bad board and call back . the auger was working right so I called back That perso said tp put it on 5 smoke setting and that would keep it at 180. that setting is 160 what I learned is this grill is no good for smoking at proper temp. The grill was made for walmart which may be the problem. I think Ill look around an d find a used smoker that is not a pit boss and buy it.. I have replaced every electriacal part on it I give up its not a smoker..Don't buy it.

I put ribs on

the best smpke is 180 - 200. I put grill on 180 and wh3n it got to temp I put ribs on I know there is temp rise and fall but to drop to 130 is bad, it would take 10 minuters to get to temp again.Called pitboss and tyhe fun started they said it could drop 20 degrees .. I said 50 degrees and she started sayind the board was bad then she said to time the auger and it would show a bad board and call back . the auger was working right so I called back That perso said tp put it on 5 smoke setting and that would keep it at 180. that setting is 160 what I learned is this grill is no good for smoking at proper temp. The grill was made for walmart which may be the problem. I think Ill look around an d find a used smoker that is not a pit boss and buy it.. I have replaced every electriacal part on it I give up its not a smoker..Don't buy it.

I put ribs on
Sorry you have trouble. I have a Navigator 500 and Louisiana 1000. My Navigator controls do not work on startup in cold weather. Otherwise, both work perfectly.

So how'd the ribs turn out?
Not good. couldnt get to temp after 6 hours and they were dry. This is a new problem, I put an oven temp gauge in after it was too late and the temp was 30 to 50 degrees lower than what it showed. The rep said temp probe. I’m not going to try to smoke any thing for awhile. I’m looking for a used trager that is a smoker. Put it on 180 and you get plenty of smoke and a steady temp.

I took a look at your other posts here and it looks like you’ve had a string of bad luck over the years. Too bad, not a good experience for sure.
My PB has it’s issues. Getting proper temps for me is an art as well as a science, but after time I have a general handle on what to expect.
But it starts well and with one or two exceptions will run for many hours; the latest about a 16 hour run with no outages.
Good luck whatever path you follow.

I took a look at your other posts here and it looks like you’ve had a string of bad luck over the years. Too bad, not a good experience for sure.
My PB has it’s issues. Getting proper temps for me is an art as well as a science, but after time I have a general handle on what to expect.
But it starts well and with one or two exceptions will run for many hours; the latest about a 16 hour run with no outages.
Good luck whatever path you follow.
I have replaced every part 2 or 3 times. I had a temp control left over and I put that in and a temp gauge in door of grill. The low temp did better in the range of 5-10 degrees up and down. I will say the temp probe was bad. I will try to heavy smoke something in a little while. I mostly use 225- 250 to cook. I run it up to bbq chicken to 350. The best smoker I ever used was a side smoker that used charcoal and wood. New is not always better.

I find the actual temp inside can very 10 to 20 degrees and the prob temps are off also but I know my machine well enough I dont cook by set temp or time I cook by meat temp and secondary meat prob other than the one on the machine and have no issue in getting a good meal

Back