Not new to smoking with charcoal and gas but flummoxed by this, our first, pellet thing!

Qimmiit

Reaction score
Hi All,
My husband and I have a first gen Weber Summit charcoal kamado style smoker/grill and a Charbroil Grill-2-Go propane grill and we have a pretty good handle on their idiosyncrasies and how to use them. Recently we saw a video on making chuck burnt ends using a Country Smoker and, as there's just the two of us, it looked like something we'd really enjoy. In doing online research The Country Smoker was given very high reviews especially how well it held its temperature settings. Ours is less than a week old. We've read and re-read and re-re-re-read the printed instructions and FAQs but we still can't figure out what we must be doing wrong. Granted we've only done two smokes: chicken wings and a small baby back rib rack. Sometimes the set temp is within an acceptable range, sometimes when we need to up the temp, all of a sudden it SOARS TO + 200F over set point! We have been using the P-thing to try to control the temp but I think we may have confused the auger because at one point it dumped a whole lotta pellets and look liked we killed the fire. We were led to believe this smoker did not need to be baby sat for 5 hours. But it seems to have its own version of a cranky baby with colic. Given the Country Smokers owners very positive endorsements we're assuming the problems are us! Suggestions?

Hi All,
My husband and I have a first gen Weber Summit charcoal kamado style smoker/grill and a Charbroil Grill-2-Go propane grill and we have a pretty good handle on their idiosyncrasies and how to use them. Recently we saw a video on making chuck burnt ends using a Country Smoker and, as there's just the two of us, it looked like something we'd really enjoy. In doing online research The Country Smoker was given very high reviews especially how well it held its temperature settings. Ours is less than a week old. We've read and re-read and re-re-re-read the printed instructions and FAQs but we still can't figure out what we must be doing wrong. Granted we've only done two smokes: chicken wings and a small baby back rib rack. Sometimes the set temp is within an acceptable range, sometimes when we need to up the temp, all of a sudden it SOARS TO + 200F over set point! We have been using the P-thing to try to control the temp but I think we may have confused the auger because at one point it dumped a whole lotta pellets and look liked we killed the fire. We were led to believe this smoker did not need to be baby sat for 5 hours. But it seems to have its own version of a cranky baby with colic. Given the Country Smokers owners very positive endorsements we're assuming the problems are us! Suggestions?
Welcome from Texas to the group!
It sometimes takes a few cooks to settle down
My 820 did
Hopefully this helps you 🇺🇸🇺🇸

Back