Original PBV4PS2 Temp Settings with Firmware update

Ronbill

Reaction score
I purchased my PBV4PS2 vertical smoker when they first came about 3 yrs ago or so. Unlike newer models/versions that have 10 degreeF temp increments, at that time the PBV4PS2 came programmed with pretty coarse temperature increments (25 degreeF increments from low to 250 degreesF then 50 degree increments above that to maximum). I just downloaded the new Pitboss App and successfully updated the firmware via Bluetooth. I see the new app has 10 degreeF temperature settings, but my unit still defaults to its original coarse settings.
Does this firmware update the temperature settings to finer increments for older units like I have? Or is the temperature settings hard-coded into the original PID controller that I have on my unit? Or is it a matter of Pitboss just not allowing firmware updates to current temperature settings? Any insight on this would be appreciated.

That is a good question. I have the same smoker but had to replace the controller, it wasn't connecting to Wi-Fi or Bluetooth, that's when I got the upgraded controller in 10-degree increments. I'd call customer service and find out.

Thanks for the quick reply Mike. I just might have to contact customer service to get the answer. Unfortunately, the likelihood is since my controller has no issues with WiFi or Bluetooth or anything else at this time, they likely won't replace anything. I do find it really odd 'these days' that firmware couldn't/wouldn't re-program the temperature increments (if that is indeed the a case). Perhaps others around here with the original units will share their experiences.
On a somewhat related note, I was recently at the patio, BBQ and spa Retailer my son works at and discovered the Louisiana Grills version - Black Label Vertical Series 4 (LGV4BL) - of our Pitboss PBV4PS2 has temperature increments of 5 degrees (F)!!! Kind of makes me feel that PB is purposely handicapping the full potential of these units.

Thanks for the quick reply Mike. I just might have to contact customer service to get the answer. Unfortunately, the likelihood is since my controller has no issues with WiFi or Bluetooth or anything else at this time, they likely won't replace anything. I do find it really odd 'these days' that firmware couldn't/wouldn't re-program the temperature increments (if that is indeed the a case). Perhaps others around here with the original units will share their experiences.
On a somewhat related note, I was recently at the patio, BBQ and spa Retailer my son works at and discovered the Louisiana Grills version - Black Label Vertical Series 4 (LGV4BL) - of our Pitboss PBV4PS2 has temperature increments of 5 degrees (F)!!! Kind of makes me feel that PB is purposely handicapping the full potential of these units.
Are you "SURE" you're not having Bluetooth or wifi problems.......if you look closer I bet you are 😉

Latest Discussions

Back