P-setting only at 180 degrees. What about 225 degrees?

Ortiggs

Media
Reaction score
I haven't adjusted my p setting much. My p setting seems to only be available at 180 degrees. If I want to smoke at 225 degrees, will I still get good smoke? The p setting only seems to be available at 180 degrees.

Actually, some of the PB PID controllers still have P-settings at the 180 degree setting. 180 is what puts it into "Smoke" setting where you can adjust the auger delay. It should be a timed setting, and not being controlled by the temp probe.

You can probably set the P setting to a smaller delay, like P2 or P3, and you might get close to 225°, depending on the weather outside. You would need to verify with an external temp probe.

Take a look at your manual to confirm. I'm just going off of memory.

Thanks, it's a Walmart branding and I've been real happy with it. I'm thinking of testing some ribs at 225. I'd like to get as much smoke as possible.
I've done ribs at 225, 250 and even 275. I almost always use a smoke tube to enhance the flavor. I would recommend getting one if you like smoke flavor.

Actually, some of the PB PID controllers still have P-settings at the 180 degree setting. 180 is what puts it into "Smoke" setting where you can adjust the auger delay. It should be a timed setting, and not being controlled by the temp probe.

You can probably set the P setting to a smaller delay, like P2 or P3, and you might get close to 225°, depending on the weather outside. You would need to verify with an external temp probe.

Take a look at your manual to confirm. I'm just going off of memory.
I was wondering if that would work. Thank you.

Thanks, it's a Walmart branding and I've been real happy with it. I'm thinking of testing some ribs at 225. I'd like to get as much smoke as possible.
Yes you will get smoke at 225. Ive done 2 briskets and a pork loin and all at 225. That temperature seems to be universal for smoking. I have a Walmart branded Lexington that is similar to yours.

I haven't adjusted my p setting much. My p setting seems to only be available at 180 degrees. If I want to smoke at 225 degrees, will I still get good smoke? The p setting only seems to be available at 180 degrees.
Your P-Setting does not produce nor restrict smoke production. It allows for precise temperature control so you can use lower temperatures to smoke your meat longer to get the MOST SMOKE FLAVOR into it when you reach your final IT.

Do you want more smoke in the air so you can SEE it or more smoke flavor in your food so you can TASTE it?

Getting awesome smoke flavor in your food is not how much smoke the meat sits in, or what brand of pellet is burning but in how long your meat sits in the Smoke.

Why buy a smoke tube? If you turn the dial down, You can enjoy the real smoke flavor. Turn your dial down... Lower temperature =Longer time to cook= longer exposure to

Smoke and more time to absorb that smoke= More Smoke flavor.

You get just as much smoke production at 200-250° as you do on the Smoke setting. But the difference is that at the lower temperature setting (Smoke) the meat sits in the smoke longer to reach the desired IT and absorbs more smoke flavor.

Also read the attached PSetting tutorial. Neat PSettings tutorial available!

Attachments

• IMG_4118.jpeg
    IMG_4118.jpeg
    300.2 KB · Views: 52
Well said! Lower temp setting, longer cook time provides more smoke flavor. I do add a smoke tube with blend of pellets and wood chips. Provides the smoke flavor I'm looking for. Trial and error. Keep on cookin! You'll find what you're after.

Your P-Setting does not produce nor restrict smoke production. It allows for precise temperature control so you can use lower temperatures to smoke your meat longer to get the MOST SMOKE FLAVOR into it when you reach your final IT.

Do you want more smoke in the air so you can SEE it or more smoke flavor in your food so you can TASTE it?

Getting awesome smoke flavor in your food is not how much smoke the meat sits in, or what brand of pellet is burning but in how long your meat sits in the Smoke.

Why buy a smoke tube? If you turn the dial down, You can enjoy the real smoke flavor. Turn your dial down... Lower temperature =Longer time to cook= longer exposure to

Smoke and more time to absorb that smoke= More Smoke flavor.

You get just as much smoke production at 200-250° as you do on the Smoke setting. But the difference is that at the lower temperature setting (Smoke) the meat sits in the smoke longer to reach the desired IT and absorbs more smoke flavor.

Also read the attached PSetting tutorial. Neat PSettings tutorial available!
Great information! Thank you, @Freedbyjc ! This answers all the questions I had. I would love to have the original link to the attached image.

Back