Paint flaking and peeling off

Pitcooker1000

Media
Reaction score
I went to clean my Pit Boss Laredo 1000 this morning. One end on the inside hade paint flaking and peeling off. I took and scraped the inside and lightly sanded the affected areas. What is the best thing to do? First three pictures show the peeled and damaged area. Last picture shows the unaffected side. The back is good also. No peeling or flaking.

Attachments

• IMG_4565.jpeg
    IMG_4565.jpeg
    291.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_4564.jpeg
    IMG_4564.jpeg
    280.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4563.jpeg
    IMG_4563.jpeg
    332.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4566.jpeg
    IMG_4566.jpeg
    328.6 KB · Views: 15
I went to clean my Pit Boss Laredo 1000 this morning. One end on the inside hade paint flaking and peeling off. I took and scraped the inside and lightly sanded the affected areas. What is the best thing to do? First three pictures show the peeled and damaged area. Last picture shows the unaffected side. The back is good also. No peeling or flaking.
This stuff looks to be what is needed -- since it is the inside of the grill. Make sure that the surface is prepped properly or it may not adhere as desired.

From Amazon: https://tinyurl.com/59vjexjm

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    172.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
In my experience, the high temperature paints don't work very well. If they are used, I'd be absolutely sure that they are fully cured to drive off all of the toxic aromatic compounds. It's a lot of effort for a losing battle, at least for me. As long as the bare metal isn't rusting, I don't get overly concerned about it.

indeed:
Make sure that the surface is prepped properly or it may not adhere as desired.

I did talk to put boss about it and they said to scape it sand it and degrease it. Then high temp paint. Or either sand scrape and spray it with a cooking oil. Pam or something like it. Which may be my best choice since I need to get some Boston Butts smoking in the morning.

How old is your rig? This should NEVER happen on a Pit Boss or any name-brand smoker. I would call Pit Boss or the store you bought it from and ask for a refund or a new rig. If they refuse, there isn't much that can be done. I had a cheap smoker and the same thing happened. I used high-heat spray paint and it peeled right off.

After scraping sanding and treating with oil yesterday burning off oil to season the peeled section. Then a 12 hour smoking session today there is no sigh that the paint ever peeled off in the first place.

Attachments

• IMG_4577.jpeg
    IMG_4577.jpeg
    207.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4581.jpeg
    IMG_4581.jpeg
    216.5 KB · Views: 12
Slider it is about 2-2.5 yrs old.
That sucks. These rigs should never chip or peel. How long is your warranty for? I bought my Pit Boss this pat May from Lowes and it came with a 5-year warranty. Check your receipt, call the store and then call Pit Boss. As previously mentioned, high heat spray paint is a joke and does not work at all.

That sucks. These rigs should never chip or peel. How long is your warranty for? I bought my Pit Boss this pat May from Lowes and it came with a 5-year warranty. Check your receipt, call the store and then call Pit Boss. As previously mentioned, high heat spray paint is a joke and does not work at all.
I am quite sure PB will tell you that they do not warranty paint. It may be covered under the Lowes warranty if purchased from there and one bought their warranty plan.

I am quite sure PB will tell you that they do not warranty paint. It may be covered under the Lowes warranty if purchased from there and one bought their warranty plan.
Why? It is there product. It is there paint that they are putting on their product. So in short, yes, they are indeed responsible for the paint and the fact that is literally disintegrated, which in turn might have damaged the steel.

Why? It is there product. It is there paint that they are putting on their product. So in short, yes, they are indeed responsible for the paint and the fact that is literally disintegrated, which in turn might have damaged the steel.
Don't shoot the messenger - this is what I was told by PB when asking certain questions when inquiring on the order status when I purchased my vertical smoker. This may indeed be a different situation and is worth trying to inquire, but do not go into it with high expectations is all.

Latest Discussions

Back