PB1600SC auger motor stops 5 sec into startup

KyleKoenig

Reaction score
First Timer here!

I appreciate the help guys and gals!

I have the 1600 that I got from someone.

Plugged it in and got all types of codes. Replaced the temp probe, ERP code gone! Great!!
Then…. Err code with the auger light flashing. I replaced the auger motor, twice!
The auger rotates cleanly inside the barrel by hand. No obstructions.

When I start it up, the auger fan will run for 3-10 seconds depending on how tight the front screws on the auger are. I was told this works, didn’t for me. Auger run time did vary depending on how tight the screws were. Too tight, no spin, too loose, 3 second run time. Loose snug had the best run time of about 10 seconds.

I also did some experimenting. I swapped the plugs with the combustion fan. Both auger motors spins like a top when plugged into yellow plug while the combustion fan runs for 3-10 seconds like my auger motor did when plugged into the red.

It seems like this is an electrical issue. Why would the auger motor have power for a short period of time and then throw the code? Especially when it runs endlessly when I have it connected to the yellow plug that is meant for the pot fan. Can there be an issue with the red line designed for the auger fan?

Temp probe replaced
Igniter replaced
Auger motor replaced.

Customer service also said it was not a control board issue because I was getting power and information on the screen.

One thing I noticed was the motor would slide away from the grill slightly and then shut down.
Sorry for the long post, but I’m out of options.

Kyle

Welcome from Texas to the group!
I would double check all of the connections
If those are good it still be the controller or may just be a bad grill. They should warranty it if it’s been less than 5 years
Hopefully this helps you 🇺🇸🇺🇸

It’s not under warranty anymore.

Customer service wants me to try a few more things when I can call them back. I heard these were easy to get running but not the case. Beyond frustrated. Hopefully tech can help or it’s just going to get scrapped. Hard to justify a $160 control board on top of all this. If I knew it was the fix, then fine! Not sure which way to lean. Lol!

Thanks for the welcome!

One more question.

I see all kinds of aftermarket controllers. Do any of them link up with the 1600CS? It’s Bluetooth and wifi. They are like 1/3 the cost of PB OME, which I can only find at their website at the full retail price of $159.

Or is this worth another short thread to get advice?

Kyle

Back