Pit Boss Country Smoker is a complete failure as is the lack of support to make it work.

Qimmiit

Reaction score
Since finding an email contact for Pit Boss has been impossible for us, I am taking my disappointment to this discussion forum.

We’ve been grilling and smoking with charcoal for many years using various versions of Weber kettles, the latest being our original Summit, with fantastic results. As there is just the two of us, we also bought a Char-Broil Grill2Go 200-SqIn Liquid Propane Grill for when we don’t have time to fire up the Weber. That grill has proven to also be handy and successful.

Early last summer we watched with awe the owner of a well know BBQ smoking website make chuck burnt ends using a Pit Boss Country Smoker. He sang its praises, made it appear flawless in performance. We were smitten by its size and performance and thought this would be perfect for the two of us.

On August 17, 2023 we ordered one from Pit Boss and upon arrival we went out and purchased three containers designed to keep the pellets nice and dry and then we bought three different Pit Boss pellet flavors.

We followed the directions as the manual described yet the first cook was a disaster. The temperature fluctuated wildly, by more than 400 F at times. A call to Pit Boss was not terribly helpful, their takeaways were: 1) your set oven temperature varies up and down too; 2) It takes a few cooks for the unit to settle down. 1) I’ve never checked but I seriously doubt my Jenn Aire oven varies to the degree that the Country Smoker did and 2) relative temperature stability during the four or five cooks that followed did not improve. The set-it-and-forget-it impression we got from the video and from Pit Boss is a myth. Several other calls to Pit Boss did not resolve the temperature fluctuation issue and an email to the chuck burnt ends smoking guy went unanswered. The Pit Boss forum was not enlightening either. Similar temperature stability complaints seen here should have been a big red flag.

Before the first snowfall of the season we boxed up the Country Smoker and put it in the garage where it remains undisturbed. The nearly full three containers of pellets are relegated to the basement.

So now what do we do? In good conscience we can’t sell it as a functional smoker. Us trying again after an uninterrupted string of failures is nothing short of the very definition of insanity (trying to do something over and over again expecting a better outcome). A boat anchor comes to mind, but we don’t own a boat. Perhaps a scrap metal dealer will take it and recoup a small portion of our several hundred dollar investment.

Pit Boss customer service....if you read this we'd like to hear from you.

I cant blame you for being upset all I can say is keep calling and it might pay off .
I have been on the forum a long time and the controllers they use seem to have many issues they do have a good warranty I say but if you cant get ahold of them what good will it do .I have a PB 4 about 4 years old and my guess I have a unicorn that has had no issues .
knocking on wood as I type

Since finding an email contact for Pit Boss has been impossible for us, I am taking my disappointment to this discussion forum.

We’ve been grilling and smoking with charcoal for many years using various versions of Weber kettles, the latest being our original Summit, with fantastic results. As there is just the two of us, we also bought a Char-Broil Grill2Go 200-SqIn Liquid Propane Grill for when we don’t have time to fire up the Weber. That grill has proven to also be handy and successful.

Early last summer we watched with awe the owner of a well know BBQ smoking website make chuck burnt ends using a Pit Boss Country Smoker. He sang its praises, made it appear flawless in performance. We were smitten by its size and performance and thought this would be perfect for the two of us.

On August 17, 2023 we ordered one from Pit Boss and upon arrival we went out and purchased three containers designed to keep the pellets nice and dry and then we bought three different Pit Boss pellet flavors.

We followed the directions as the manual described yet the first cook was a disaster. The temperature fluctuated wildly, by more than 400 F at times. A call to Pit Boss was not terribly helpful, their takeaways were: 1) your set oven temperature varies up and down too; 2) It takes a few cooks for the unit to settle down. 1) I’ve never checked but I seriously doubt my Jenn Aire oven varies to the degree that the Country Smoker did and 2) relative temperature stability during the four or five cooks that followed did not improve. The set-it-and-forget-it impression we got from the video and from Pit Boss is a myth. Several other calls to Pit Boss did not resolve the temperature fluctuation issue and an email to the chuck burnt ends smoking guy went unanswered. The Pit Boss forum was not enlightening either. Similar temperature stability complaints seen here should have been a big red flag.

Before the first snowfall of the season we boxed up the Country Smoker and put it in the garage where it remains undisturbed. The nearly full three containers of pellets are relegated to the basement.

So now what do we do? In good conscience we can’t sell it as a functional smoker. Us trying again after an uninterrupted string of failures is nothing short of the very definition of insanity (trying to do something over and over again expecting a better outcome). A boat anchor comes to mind, but we don’t own a boat. Perhaps a scrap metal dealer will take it and recoup a small portion of our several hundred dollar investment.

877 303 3134 option 2

Call Danson’s customer service at 877.303.3134 or 480.923.9630 for information or suggestions for the new app, or operating assistance or for a warranty registration or parts replacement under your 5 year warranty.

In Canada: Phone: 1-877-942-2246 And 877-303-3134 and 877-942-2246 are the Danson’s tech line.

Also definitely leave your phone number for call back if prompted to.

You can also Try the chat feature on the PitBoss website. https://pitboss-grills.com/

If your controller is the issue, they can diagnose it and get it replaced under warranty for you.

Latest Discussions

Back