Pit Boss Sportsman 7 Series (PBV7PW1) Vertical Smoker Temperature Zone Test

MrJRoz

Media
Reaction score
Hello All,

Since there is not a whole lot of information on the WiFi vertical 7 series Sportsman model, I conducted a temperature zone test to get an idea of what the temperatures are on each of the rack levels; rack 6 was not used since it is located close to the top in my setup, as I use this level for sausage hanging support. The temperature at the rack 6 level can be inferred from rack 5.

Test notes:
- TWx: ThermoWorks Smoke x4 probes.
- PBx: Pit Boss unit probes.
- PB1-2, TW1-4 located at center rack; PB Pit Temp located just above rack 1.
- Water pan at 3/4 full.
- Empty Pit: No product in the pit.
- All temperature readings stabilized 5 minutes after reaching set point.
- Temperature Set Point & Pit Boss pit temp consistent with each other - (you would expect this).

The results were what I expected based on convection principles. Temperatures would be outside of the product themo-bubble (outside of 2" around the product).

The Pit Boss probes were a little off, but this is expected since they are NTC based, and TW uses thermocouples. I plan to do an ice bath and boiling water test on the PB probes for my reference.

Racks 3 and 4 appear to be the most optimal for cooking on, which is the sweet spot for my sausages.

I look forward to your feedback, comments, and observations.

Attachments

• PBV7PW1 Temperature Test.png
    PBV7PW1 Temperature Test.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 85
Hello All,

Since there is not a whole lot of information on the WiFi vertical 7 series Sportsman model, I conducted a temperature zone test to get an idea of what the temperatures are on each of the rack levels; rack 6 was not used since it is located close to the top in my setup, as I use this level for sausage hanging support. The temperature at the rack 6 level can be inferred from rack 5.

Test notes:
- Water pan at 3/4 full.
- Temperature Set Point & Pit Boss pit temp consistent with each other - (you would expect this).

The results were what I expected based on convection principles. Temperatures would be outside of the product themo-bubble (outside of 2" around the product).

The Pit Boss probes were a little off, but this is expected since they are NTC based, and TW uses thermocouples. I plan to do an ice bath and boiling water test on the PB probes for my reference.

Racks 3 and 4 appear to be the most optimal for cooking on, which is the sweet spot for my sausages.

So surprising that the bottom rack is not your highest temperature rack with it being the closest to the firebox. My bottom rack is usually 30 degs hotter than set point. My second rack follows the set point due to it being where the thermocouple is located.

1723903622708.png

So surprising that the bottom rack is not your highest temperature rack with it being the closest to the firebox. My bottom rack is usually 30 degs hotter than set point. My second rack follows the set point due to it being where the thermocouple is located.

View attachment 5794
@GeekChef: Thanks for sharing -- Looks like there is product in your set up. This could be acting as a barrier and knocking the upper rack temps down. I set up my test, so the pit was empty to have a true characterization of the pit chamber. You will more likely see results similar to mine if you redid yours with nothing in it. What is your smoker model?

@GeekChef: Thanks for sharing -- Looks like there is product in your set up. This could be acting as a barrier and knocking the upper rack temps down. I set up my test, so the pit was empty to have a true characterization of the pit chamber. You will more likely see results similar to mine if you redid yours with nothing in it. What is your smoker model?
Pbv4 pro. I did it empty and with food. Same for both. Mine def has a hot spot near the bottom. I solved it by putting two foil pans filled with water at the bottom. Evened out my full chamber and makes for super simple cleanup.
👏💪

Hello All,

Test notes:
- Water pan at 3/4 full.

That sweet spot zone is similar for my vertical

Latest Discussions

Back